Can't get google tts to work

I have a very basic setup, like setup 2 days ago. I don’t have HA Cloud setup. I can’t get Google TTS to work on any automatons. From the home page I can click on the google speaker three dots and type in a message and it will play the message just fine.

However if I use the action below it will not work… When I go to create the automation I get a message in red at the top of the screen, it is below the action sequence below. Maybe someone can help me figure this out. As stated I am very new to HA. In case it matters I am running Hass.io on hyper-v.

Action

tts:
- platform: google_translate
service_name: google_say

Error message.

Message malformed: extra keys not allowed @ data['action'][0]['tts']

Under File editor I see /config/tts folder with some .mp3 files. When I click on one of them it says “‘utf-8’ codec can’t decode byte 0xff in position 1113: invalid start byte” and they all same the same thing except the position number. Not sure if this is helpful in any way.

This is how I engage google tts…

in configuration.yaml:

# Text to speech
tts:
    platform: google_translate

Then in the automation, under Actions, Action Type: Call Service to tts.google_translate_say with service data:

entity_id: media_player.kitchen
1 Like

ChargerDad you are the man. I have been trying to figure this out for the last few days and this worked. Thank you very much for your help.

You are welcome! I have had a few challenges of my own with Home Assistant with things being different conceptually than what I was used to with previous automation platforms, and sometimes I sometimes find the documentation insufficient for my level of experience, and end up struggling with some things for a while before figuring them out! Started moving to HA a couple weeks ago, and love the platform, but barely scratching the surface on what it can do I am sure.

Seems like a lot of the documentation uses a slightly different syntax than what mine uses. I don’t know if this is due to my lack of experience with HA or it’s it slightly different because I am running hass.io on hyper-v.