Can't get hass.io working with virtualbox on new NUC windows 10

Hi everyone.

I’ve been playing with Home Assistant for a month or so on an older Windows 7 machine using Virtual box. That installation was smooth as there is some great instructions out there. I’m loving Home Assistant, and am all in! Coming from Smartthings…

I upgraded to a NUC 10 I7 with a NVME drive running Windows 10 and have been trying all weekend to get it working.

At first, I exported the machine from my windows 7 box, and imported on my Windows 10 NUC box, and it won’t boot up. It stops at “Loading MS-DOS executable ‘/mnt/system/bzImage’”

I can get to the hass.io boot menu. Selecting system0 or 1 gets me the same message.

I’ve tried to recreate the virtual machine from scratch, and I get the same message.

Check out a screenshot of the message here.

I’m almost at my wits end! Can anybody help me? Not having any luck searching for others with this issue except for some people having issues with NVME drives. But I think that it’s because they are trying to install right on it, and not in a VM.

Did you have any luck? I’m having the same issue on my Windows 10 machine Host through VirtualBox.

I’ve been having a similar problem (same message) but on a PC. I’ve tried all kinds of scenarios, researched and researched, each time getting the same failure to boot. Then I decided on a whim to try my same default HA VM setup on another computer and it started up with no problem. That leads me to believe that at least in my situation there is something in the BIOS or hardware config that is preventing the VM boot. So now I’m going to compare BIOS setting between the 2 machines. I know that on the PC that wouldn’t start the VM I have every security option I could think of turned on, so I may have to back some of those down.

Hope this helps.

Fuck that, just install Ubuntu on the NUC

Regarding the Windows 10 VirtualBox boot problem, I determined that on my computer if I disabled Memory Integrity within Core Isolation that my VirtualBox would finally boot.

Depending on what else you plan on using the NUC for, going with a Linux install would cut out the Windows equation all together. But, that route is not without its potential bumps. Your mileage may vary. :slight_smile: