Changing DHCP reservation renders frontend unreachable?

Hi folks. This is probably either so stupid a question or so obvious an that answer nobody else has needed to ask in public (that I can find) and generate the resulting slow hand clap, but here goes.

For entirely cosmetic reasons, I decided to change the DHCP reserved address that my router hands out to the HASSIO instance on my LAN. Note carefully that I did also move my port forwards to the new reserved address before I restarted HASSIO.

I hoped that when it restarted it would grab the new address (it did) and DuckDNS would update the DDNS record for my LetsEncrypt domain & certificate (it did).

So I can SSH into the plugin, no problem, but when I connect to the front end URL I do connect to the device (so the port forward is working) but I get the dreaded “Loading Data” spinner followed by “can’t connect to front end”.

So I put everything back as it was and I’m working again on the old DHCP reservation, but my undercrackers are chafing because it’s not the one I want to use damnit.

Please be gentle, but I can’t find anywhere in the HASSIO or plugin configuration relating to the IP address of the host apart from one line in home-assistant.log:

home-assistant.log:2019-01-14 21:39:53 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.discovery] Already discovered service home_assistant {'host': '172.21.230.66', 'port': 8123, 'hostname': 'Home._home-assistant._tcp.local.', 'properties': {'version': '0.85.1', 'base_url': 'https://[HOSTNAME REDACTED].duckdns.org:8123', 'requires_api_password': True}}.

Can anyone suggest where my foolishness lies?
Mike

O.o

Changing your DHCP reservation should have no bearing on your external IP or certs…

I guess it all depends on what DHCP reservation you gave it. Was it in your subnet? Sounds like you were hitting cached resources and not really getting to the login page.

That would be my guess as well. Did you try deleting all website data/cache etc? Or in Chrome, Press F12 for Dev Tools, right click on refresh and select Hard Reload and Delete Cache.

As Flaming Moe said there is no reason this should happen. I have changed IP address myself in the past and all is good.

Thanks @DavidFW1960 and @flamingm0e.
I should have explained that I’d previously configured this instance with a DuckDNS domain name, but that my ISP address had changed while it was offline. That was why I expected DDNS to update (with the new WAN IP) when it restarted and the HASSIO instance picked up the new (local!) DHCP address. But the O.o face was definitely justified!
From what you’re saying I just need to clear the cache of my web browser at the client end, not any cache on the HASSIO instance / web server itself? I shall give it another go and hopefully balance will be returned to the Force…

:+1:

Correct.

Thanks - your suggestion worked.
I changed the DHCP reservation, and the port forwarding rules on my router.
Rebooted HASSIO host
Cleared the browser cache
Reconnected via the DuckDNS URL and all was right with the world!

1 Like