Chromecast audio discovery problem

I’ve got a puzzling problem configuring my chromecast audios.

I’m using home assistant to automate aspects of both my home and my business, which are at two locations. HA is on a server in my home which is also running an openvpn server that my business site connects to.

I can’t install an avahi daemon to be a reflector from my business subnet (192.168.11.xx) to my home subnet (192.168.10.xx) because there is no avahi daemon compiled for the router running openvpn at my business. This means auto-discovery is out for the chromecasts at my business.

The following configuration works:

media_player:
    - platform: cast
      host: 192.168.11.34
    - platform: cast
      host: 192.168.11.10

This configures the two off-site chromecasts and all the ones on the same subnet as HA are auto-discovered, along with the chromecast groups on that subnet.

However, HA complains this method is deprecated:

Setting configuration for Cast via platform is deprecated. Configure via Cast component instead.

If I change the configuration to the new method per this error, it looks like this:

cast:
    media_player:
        - host: 192.168.11.34
        - host: 192.168.11.10

But when I restart HA with that configuration, ONLY the two off-site chromecasts are found - nothing is auto-discovered any more!

So I tried assigning static IPs to all my chromecasts and manually adding them all to the config using this suggested cast syntax, but then none of my chromecast groups are found any more.

So I can get the result I want using the “deprecated” method, but I’m curious to know why the “correct” method is not working.

Has nobody else had problems with this? I’ve upgraded to 0.84.1 and still getting the same strange results.