Circadian Lighting with separate brightness and color temp schedules

Hi! I’m looking to configure the circadian lighting Home Assistant integration a very specific way, and I thought I’d ask if anyone knows how to do it!

Basically, these are the requirements:

1. Color temperature of lights works with circadian schedule, based on the sun.
  2. Brightness is controlled on a different time based schedule,
    • and preferably can be overridden (by like a physical switch).
  3. Morning time is static, and night time is based sun based for color temp, and static for brightness.

I got #1 to work pretty easily. I can also get some of #3 to work, by manually setting the time of the morning. But separating brightness functionality from color temp seems tricky. I thought I might be able to use 2 switches - one for brightness and one for color temp, but I haven’t been able to find a mix of settings that work (the second defined switch is ignored) and some of the setting I need are set on the global circadian_lights config.

So guess these are the questions:

• Is there a way to override those settings (like sunrise_time and sunset_time) on a per switch basis?
  • Can I control the brightness and color temp values using two different switches?

Thanks!

Here’s what I’m currently using, and it works, but doesn’t control the brightness.

circadian_lighting:
  sunrise_time: 06:00:00

switch:
  - platform: circadian_lighting
    disable_brightness_adjust: true
    lights_ct:
      - light.hue_color_lamp_2
      - light.front_room_lamp
      - light.livingroom_fan
      - light.livingroom_fan_2
      - light.livingroom_fan_3
      - light.living_room_fan_4
      - light.garage_light
      - light.hue_color_lamp_1
    lights_brightness:
      - light.front_room_dome_1_a
      - light.front_room_dome_1_b
      - light.sengled_e11_g13_68f16203_level_on_off

I think I have some ideas for some of these. I think the second switch didn’t work, because I didn’t turn it on… I’ll try that again.

Speaking of switches, I think I figured out how to do the override. I think I can set up 2 switches (per room), one for white hue, and one for brightness. Then I can set up an automation to turn off the brightness upon switch interaction, and some other automations to turn it back on - like at 3am, or if the switch is double tapped, or something.

The only thing that leaves is setting the brightness on a different timer from the white hue.

Do you mind sharing how you did #1 & #2?

I never really got that to work, and just kind of live with it the way it is. Over time, I’ve been tuning the max/min ranges. The family doesn’t like if the bulbs get too dim, or too orange. So I’ve capped the bottom dim range to 30% and the bottom white point to 2700k (which matches the “dumb” bulbs we still have in some places). I’m also now experimenting with capping the top end to 4000k during the day, which is more comfortable in winter/overcast weather (and is the maximum value supported by the overly green Ikea bulbs I’m trying out).

Anyway, I’m still playing with things. I’ve actually switched to “Adaptive Lighting” from “Circadian LIghting” for 2 reasons. The switch override (for adjusting brightness from a Lutron Aura dial switch) more reliably actually overrides the auto-dimming (though it’s still not perfect), and it doesn’t get inexplicably bright at like 2:00am like circadian does. I do prefer the more granular control options in Circadian, but the bugs are show stoppers.

I have more to say about this broad topic, and where to find good reviews on just the tunable aspect of white bulbs specifically (I really couldn’t care any less about the various other colors or effects of these bulbs - just the white point and comfort). I find myself wanting to become an expert on lighting.

I’ve thought about adding a few new projects to my overstuffed hobby list. I wonder if there’d be interest. They would be writing my own version of circadian/adaptive lighting, with all the features I want (I’m a developer) and maybe producing a youtube channel to exclusively review white point tunable bulbs (Ikea are horrible, hue and ledvance subjectively decent, etc.). I wonder if that’s entirely too niche to be of any value, heh.

1 Like