Closing doors the fun way 👈

My SO wants to sleep with our bedroom door open, but in the summer, the light coming through the main door’s window (which can’t be curtained) wakes me up early! :weary:

So, I looked for a ready-to-use device with a servo motor and Zigbee communication to automatically close the door at sunrise. :sunrise:

Thanks to the Moes Chain Roller Blinds Motor, it was both fun and easy to do! :door::point_left::robot:

At first, I thought I’d have to set up something with a beaded chain to pull the door shut, but this clever little device, equipped with a brush and short limits on Zigbee2Mqtt, did the trick perfectly! :sweat_smile:

Featuring Kiki the dog, with love. :dog::heart:

14 Likes

There are a lot of possible applications with this thing.

You can print things for the axes for specific purpose, including the usage of gears and rack for linear movement, or endless screws.

2 Likes

Cute dog! :slight_smile:

Oh, and nice project! :laughing: :+1:

1 Like

After the POC, the v1 version is coming. :smiley:

I designed an arm to attach it directly on the axle.
My friend is going to 3D print for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice project, brilliant idea. Can you share a 3d print file, if you don’t mind?
I have 2 cats and dog, and they go in and out to our bedroom none stop. I have a light on first floor which is go on a minute before my alarm is go off and my wife is still sleeping, if the door is open, she is not happy at all :grinning: about these lights. TY

Now upgraded with 3D printed arm that fits to the axle thanks to my buddy who owns a 3D printer! He is going to fine tune the model and I’ll post the link when available.

3 Likes

Nice, looks like a bought device (that’s a compliment in this case :laughing: )!

I have to ask, why aren’t you changing that lights behaviour? :slight_smile: Just asking, really, but my first thought was “change the light” and not “close the door so you don’t see it”. :laughing: I mean, you obviously are familiar with home automation. :rofl:

Nice! V2 should include an actual hand on it and an automation to pat the dog if the door is already closed!

2 Likes

I am up at 4:30 Am and this light is at the kitchen, first floor, so I don’t have to walk in the dark.
Just a safety :rofl: reason

1 Like