Cloud Integration with Alexa Routines

I am using HA running Hass.io on a PI4. It is integrated with an ISY to communicate with Insteon network. I am using the Nabu Cloud integration for remote access and to enable interface with Alexa.

All works well. However, I am interested in triggering Alexa Routines with state changes on HA binary_sensor. Sensor is coming from ISY, but should not matter. The sensor is enabled in the cloud integration GUI, state reporting is enabled. The sensor shows up in the Alexa app with the appropriate state.

However, it does not show up in the list of trigger devices available to trigger an Alexa routine. I think this may have something to do with the device showing up in Alexa as Type “Other”. I can’t find anything in the Alexa documentation that confirms it restricts trigger devices to specific types but suspect that to be the case.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Also, is the only way to specify a device type to enable the Alexa devices via configuration.yaml rather than the GUI?

Had similar issue with a smartthings door sensor, routine would play tell time say a joke and then play the radio, lost that when i move all my sensors to deconz, none where showing in Alexa, so i did a node-red flow to trigger the routine instead, i had to recreate the routine as an Alexa say as it wont trigger if you leave it based on an event.
I had to use alexa routines cause alexa media play cant use the media_player stop.

The binary_sensor device_class must be door, opening, window, or motion to be used in an Alexa routine. You can override this in the customize entities.

Thanks, sorry for the delayed response. Changing the device_class of the binary_sensor resolved the issue. Once changed, it shows up in the Alexa app to trigger a routine. Also, I am using with an Insteon Garage door low voltage controller and sensor. I have the sensor setup such that it is “On” when the door is closed. When assigning this binary_sensor as a device_class “garage_door” it assumes On is Open. I added a templated binary_ sensor to reverse this and now have a garage_door sensor that works as expected. Hopefully this will help someone else trying to set this up in the future.

Doesn’t work for me or am I doing it wrong?

customize.yaml

binary_sensor.vibration_postbox:
  device_class: motion
binary_sensor.openclose_44:
  device_class: door
binary_sensor.openclose_45:
  device_class: window

After changing the device_class, delete the devices from the Alexa App, restart Home Assistant, and re-discover.

Also confirm the customizing is working Developer Tools > States, and review the state attributes have the correct device_class.

I really had hope for a moment cause i always changed the device_class, then rebooted, deleted it from the App und the rediscovered.
I tried it in your order but it doesn’t work :confused:

I also checked Developer > States and yes changing the device_class works. The Proactive Events are also working, cause I can ask the Temperature from the different rooms.

I also tried to create a template sensor. Alexa discovers it and it works, but it won’t show up under the Routines…

- platform: template
    sensors:
      testfake:
        friendly_name: "Alexa can u see it"
        device_class: motion
        value_template: "{{ is_state('switch.hdmi', 'on') }}"

Alexa is still able to query the value of the temperature sensor even if proactive events aren’t enabled. Note: you may need to disable and re-enable your skill to get proactive events working for the first time.

Verify proactive events are working, by turning on debugging.

Make a state change to a device through Home Assistant, e.g. turn a light on or off.

load the full log and search for StateReport and verify you receive a response of 202 from Alexa. The new state of the device should also be reflected in the Alexa app almost immediately if you’re open to the device page in the Alexa App.

I turned on Debugging and exposed a Light with the Alexa Component. In the past I used the emulated_hue for the lights.
When I switch the state via HA the responds in the Alexa App are pretty quick, maybe 1-2 Seconds and in the Log I got the correct response.

2020-02-02 20:57:50 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.alexa.state_report] Received (202): 

Is there more that I can look for Debugging?