Home Assistant Community Add-on: AirCast

this is an addon, to a platform, so these guys have nothing todo with hass.io
but yes i am austrian so i always feel a bit bad when using my hass.io device :smiley:

This is amazing. Thank you so much for this add-on. Really simplifies some things in our home audio setup.

Now, if only there was a way to get Alexa to cast to AirPlay or Google Cast…

2 Likes

:tada: Release v0.3.0

Full Changelog

Added

• Adds add-on icon

Changed

• Upgrades add-on base image to v1.0.0
  • Upgrades AirCast server to v0.2.0.5
  • Optimizes add-on logo

any chance of being able to edit the configuration in the future?

That feature is requested and on the roadmap.

Would love to have the opposite functionality.

I have an airplay player and would like to cast from Google Home to it.
Any workaround for that?

:tada: Release v0.4.0

This release is exciting, at least, for me it is. I’ve been working on this for months! And for you? Well, almost nothing changed :stuck_out_tongue:

So what did change? I’ve updated the workflows of the Community Hass.io Add-ons project. Things include:

• Replaced CircleCI and CodeClimate. We are now using GitLab CI, backed by a couple of custom servers building and testing these add-ons.
  • All add-ons are now scanned during built and release by Clair to prevent security issues in our add-ons.
  • All add-ons are constantly scanned and monitored by Anchore.io. We will be notified immediately in case of security issues occur. (Major thanks to Anchore.io for helping us out!)
  • The add-ons repository is now entirely generated and automatically synced with all the add-ons. This ensures repositories are in sync, never forgotten and releases are almost instantly.
  • The base images that these add-ons are built on are entirely revised.
  • All add-ons have been updated to follow the Docker best practices. These are checked on every code change by GitLab CI.
  • All add-ons had maintenance. All software is updated to the latest and greatest and the documentation has been revisited.
  • There are now 2 bots in place on the GitHub project. The Add-ons Assistant is helping us out with the GitHub issues and pull requests and the AddonsBot is fully active taking care of updating code across the different GitHub Repositories.
  • We now have Edge & Beta add-ons repositories available. This allows everybody to test the latest and greatest (in case you don’t care about stability that much, or just wanna help out!)
  • I’ve removed all the PayPal, Bitcoin, … buttons. If you’d like to show your appreciation, then please, just buy me a coffee.

So that’s quite a lot, right? So what changed in this specific add-on?

Full Changelog

Added

• Adds .yamllint configuration
  • Adds Probot configuration
  • Adds initial add-on README template
  • Adds Gitlab CI

Fixed

• Fixes Markdownlint warning in License
  • Fixes hadolint warnings

Changed

• Replaces Changelog with GitHub releases
  • Adds all architectures to add-on config
  • Updates README
  • Changes add-on base to Ubuntu
  • Updates AirConnect to v0.2.0.8

Removed

• Removes CodeClimate
  • Removes CircleCI

This is brilliant! Thank you Frenck. Works perfectly, it’s so fast compared to other solutions I’ve tried. Coffee coming your way.

1 Like

Thank you very much @tom_l :heart:

any chance we can edit the config to remove speakers?

This is currently not possible.

Thanks for this great add-on! Do you have any plans to support airplay 2 protocol?

@oriolism, the add-on uses the AirConnect project to get its functionality. The upstream project is current not working on this. This is mainly caused by Apple, since the AirPlay 2 protocol specs are not public.

I am having the same errors as @Emacee. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Nothing seems to work. It looks like it is having a permissions error.

I have a working install of this at home with hass.io on a RPi3, but at work with the same hass.io install on a RPi0w it is not working.

Running AirCast on a Raspberry Pi Zero is not supported.
Raspberry Pi 1 and Zero use an ARMv6 architecture, while ARMv7 the minimum version required at this moment (Raspberry Pi 2 and up).

I havent been using the add-on on my RPi3 for a while with Google Home Minis, but it looks like its not working anymore? It used to work for my wife but as of today, the speaker is shown but she cannot connect anymore? (Hass.io and addon are up2date)

Based on your report, I’ve set it up on a fresh Pi3 using my Google Home (not mini, since I don’t own these). But started, showed the speakers and tried streaming from my iMac and iPhone and both just worked without issue.

Not sure what is wrong in your case. Is there anything in the add-on or hass.io system logs that might be helpful?

Thank you for checking, didn’t want to cause you any troubles!

I have checked it after a full restart of everything(Phone/RPi/Wifi) but it still is not working. Speakers show up with the “+” sign added in the name, after selecting it the wheel starts spinning for a while until it says cannot connect.

Addon log looks fine to me, shows that it added the devices etc. but no new entries after the failed connection. Cant see nothing in the Hass.io-log either. As it works for you I would suspect that it is something with our WiFi since we added a new AP since it last worked.

I just updated to 0.71.0 using a raspi 3B and can confirm it is working.

Have you tried to connect to the devices with Chromecast rather than Aircast?

:tada: Release v0.5.0

Full Changelog

Added

• Adds known issues and limitations to README

Fixed

• Fixed incorrect base images in GitLab CI

Changed

• Moves build-env to latest
  • Upgrades Ubuntu base image to 2.0.0
  • Rewrites GitLab CI
1 Like