Community Hass.io Add-on: AppDaemon 3

Everybody needs to learn sometime right? :blush:

1 Like

That dashboard was made with HADashboard? Looks awesome!

1 Like

What are the changes from appdaemon2?

Also, should one uninstall appdaemon2 before installing this addon? Will apps be preserved across the uninstall-reinstall?

Good questions @HudsonMC16!

Both add-ons use the same configuration files. So you’d have to choose.
Migrate or start developing on AppDaemon3 or stick with AppDaemon2.

The AppDaemon configuration files are stored in the /config folder. Once files are created there, the add-on will never touch it again. So even on deletion of an add-on, the config (and dashboard/apps) are still there and unharmed.

This also means uninstalling V2 and installing V3 is possible, but V3 will not work, since you’d have to modify/migrate your current configuration.

The reason this add-on is separate, is to enable users to migrate to v3 or stick with v2. Its all about giving the user choices.

Hi,

i just installed v3 right next to v2.
I stoped v2, and started v3.

Now, I get the following error:

ERROR no 'appdaemon' section in /config/appdaemon/appdaemon.yaml

Any idea what to do?
stopping v3 and startvv2 (to continue to use it) is working fine.

Regards

Look here for details on changes Announcement - AppDaemon 3.0 beta 1!

I have appdaemon 2, what is the best way to upgrade, backup and take out existing directories, uninstall previous addon and then install this one?

Or is it possible to keep both?

Agreed, some clear instructions are needed. I removed V2, installed V3 and everything was broken, errors on errors.

upgrading to V3 and its breaking changes can be found here:

and here

the docs for V3 can be found here
http://appdaemon.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html
and the docs for V2 can be found here
http://appdaemon.readthedocs.io/en/2.1.12/

and yeah it would be helpfull if the github from the addon would give that information.

1 Like

AppDaemon V3 is still a Beta version, it most likely will have a few issues.

It will take time to finish this release and write the documentation, I am sure help in that area would be appreciated. If nothing else to proof read it. The more we work with it the better (less issues) the finished version will be.

Same. I reverted back to v2

First thing then is to mark the thing as Beta as this is not clear in the Hassio Add-ons, it looks like it’s release.

@anon35356645 and @bucksbass its quite stable and nice as I moved to it fully last night. Had held back for this long as I was scared as I got some “critical” apps running on it (I manage my mother-in-Laws medication remotely with it) so you can imagine.

But once installed, followed up the breaking changes based on what @ReneTode shared and it was all good. Though one thing tripped me off and that was the self.get_state(). now just simply doing something like self.get_state("light.testing","brightness") to get the brightness attributes will break it. Instead one has to specify and that’s by doing self.get_state("light.testing",attributes="brightness").

its all fine there on and its cool so far. The Plugin aspect of it, its awesome to say the least.

Thank you very much this seems really good :))

I just installed it with no apps (just hadashboad panels) and receive this error in log

starting version 3.2.4
[services.d] done.
2018-02-01 17:03:14.893103 INFO AppDaemon Version 3.0.0b2 starting
2018-02-01 17:03:14.893456 INFO Configuration read from: /config/appdaemon/appdaemon.yaml
2018-02-01 17:03:14.895027 INFO AppDaemon: Starting Apps
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/bin/appdaemon”, line 11, in
sys.exit(main())
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/appdaemon/admain.py”, line 341, in main
admain.main()
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/appdaemon/admain.py”, line 337, in main
self.run(appdaemon, hadashboard)
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/appdaemon/admain.py”, line 59, in run
self.AD = ad.AppDaemon(self.logger, self.error, loop, **appdaemon)
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/appdaemon/appdaemon.py”, line 257, in init
basename = self.plugins[name][“type”]
TypeError: ‘NoneType’ object is not subscriptable

nice that you post your question twice, so here the same answer:

read here about the breaking changes:

Thank you for the same answer

happens when you ask twice :wink:
better as when you get 2 completely different answers and dont know which is the right one :wink:

1 Like

I had that problem, the Caps have been removed from hadashboard: and should be indented to the same level as appdaemon: and not as a plugin.
Hope that helps!

Thanks for the useful answer. Will check soon