Home Assistant Community Add-on: Node-RED

Hi!

I just started exploring Node-Red.
Since I have home assistant it looked like a good idea to use in it.
I would like to work with some modbus devices (moxa iologik e1212) on tcp.

When I try to install node-red-contrib-modbus ā€œpaletteā€ I get the following error every time:

[email protected] install /config/node-red/node_modules/serialport
prebuild-install || node-gyp rebuild

prebuild-install WARN install No prebuilt binaries found (target=8.11.4 runtime=node arch=arm platform=linux)
gyp ERR! build error
gyp ERR! stack Error: not found: make
gyp ERR! stack at getNotFoundError (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/which/which.js:13:12)
gyp ERR! stack at F (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/which/which.js:68:19)
gyp ERR! stack at E (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/which/which.js:80:29)
gyp ERR! stack at /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/which/which.js:89:16
gyp ERR! stack at /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/which/node_modules/isexe/index.js:42:5
gyp ERR! stack at /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/which/node_modules/isexe/mode.js:8:5
gyp ERR! stack at FSReqWrap.oncomplete (fs.js:152:21)
gyp ERR! System Linux 4.14.66-v7
gyp ERR! command ā€œ/usr/bin/nodeā€ "/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/nodeā€¦

Is it possible to install this from the web ui or do I have to install it in an other way?

Thanks!

Add the package to config pane of the node red plugin panel:

"npm_packages": [
"node-red-contrib-modbus"
  ],

More info here: https://github.com/hassio-addons/addon-node-red/blob/master/README.md

Hope that helps,
Benjamin

Hi,

all sems to be correct in log but i cannot open the web-gui, it say ā€œconnection refusedā€

This is my log:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: executing... 
-----------------------------------------------------------
 Hass.io Add-on: Node-RED v0.7.0
 Flow-based programming for the Internet of Things
 By: Franck Nijhof <[email protected]>
 armhf / HassOS 1.10 / HA 0.79.3 / SU 134 / stable
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: executing... 
Log level is set to INFO
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 02-updates.sh: executing... 
INFO: You are running the latest version of this add-on
[cont-init.d] 02-updates.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 10-requirements.sh: executing... 
INFO: Password is NOT in the Have I Been Pwned database! Nice!
[cont-init.d] 10-requirements.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 11-warning.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 11-warning.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 20-config.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 20-config.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-auto-api-token.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 30-auto-api-token.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 80-system-packages.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 80-system-packages.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 81-npm-packages.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 81-npm-packages.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 82-user-scripts.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 82-user-scripts.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.

Are you using DuckDNS? If so, set up port forwarding.

Edit: Looks like it just wasnā€™t done starting up. The last message should read ā€œServer now running at https://ā€¦ā€

Hiā€¦ Is anyone having an issue with Node-Red since installing the latest Hass.io version 8.0? I could not connect to my home assistant nodes. I got this error: Cannot GET /homeassistant/services

I tried un-installing Node-red on hass.io and deleting the node-red folder in Sambaā€¦ But now, after rebooting Hass.Ios, and having re-installed node-red I canā€™t access Node-red any moreā€¦ In fact, in Samba, the folders have not been re-created. Not sure what to do, to get it all back.

Cannot login :frowning:

Just a little update. Iā€™ve been working on the add-on today and have some big changes pending.
Nevertheless, one of the issues seems to be caused by Hass.io.

Iā€™m currently working with the HA/Hass.io devs to find a solution for these issues. As soon as they are addressed, Iā€™ll push out the new version.

4 Likes

Hi guys,
I believe you have the same problem with accessing the Node-Red UI as I just had.
As Owi found out this may be caused by Bitdefender that silently blocks access.

Canā€™t login in to Node-RED

Hope it helps. In my case adding Bitdefender rule did the trick! :wink:

Great to hear.

When the new version comes out will NR projects be supported?

I have read the reddit page and this thread, but still dont understand what i need to do to solve this

1. Set a credential_secret , which is used to encrypt sensitive data.

Can some please explain it to me in the very basic form?

Thank you

In the config thereā€™s a key that says ā€œcredential_secretā€. Just set it to anything you want.
Like this:
"credential_secret": "thisisacredentialsecret",

1 Like

@Skeletorjus
Thank you

Quick question. Iā€™m new to Node-RED and fairly new to HA. Just wondering if itā€™s normal for a restart of HA after installing NR to take about 3 times longer for the UI start responding again. Iā€™m on HA 80.3 running on an RPi3 on HassOS 1.11.

Iā€™m trying to install node-red-node-serialport but Iā€™m running into some problems:

22 Oct 19:45:26 - [info] Installing module: node-red-node-serialport, version: 0.6.8
22 Oct 19:46:03 - [warn] Installation of module node-red-node-serialport failed:
22 Oct 19:46:03 - [warn] ------------------------------------------
22 Oct 19:46:03 - [warn] npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/config/node-red/node_modules/.staging/expand-template-b53f0dfb/package.json'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/config/node-red/node_modules/.staging/expand-template-b53f0dfb/.travis.yml'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/config/node-red/node_modules/.staging/expand-template-b53f0dfb/index.js'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/config/node-red/node_modules/.staging/expand-template-b53f0dfb/README.md'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/config/node-red/node_modules/.staging/expand-template-b53f0dfb/test.js'
npm ERR! code EAI_AGAIN
npm ERR! errno EAI_AGAIN
npm ERR! request to https://registry.npmjs.org/ansi-bold/-/ansi-bold-0.1.1.tgz failed, reason: getaddrinfo EAI_AGAIN registry.npmjs.org:443
npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /root/.npm/_logs/2018-10-22T17_46_03_067Z-debug.log
22 Oct 19:46:03 - [warn] ------------------------------------------

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Great news @frenck thank you for all the help here! I desperately want to get this back to being stable.

Thank you thank you!

It just depends on so many different variables. You can check the status of the Node-Red Add-on in the node red add-on configuration screen scroll down all the way to the bottom where it says log then click refresh.

That way you can know exactly what is happening.

I keep getting different error messages when trying to install node-red-node-serialport

23 Oct 19:07:17 - [warn] Installation of module node-red-node-serialport failed:
23 Oct 19:07:17 - [warn] ------------------------------------------
23 Oct 19:07:17 - [warn] 
> [email protected] install /config/node-red/node_modules/serialport
> prebuild-install || node-gyp rebuild
prebuild-install WARN install No prebuilt binaries found (target=8.11.4 runtime=node arch=arm platform=linux)
gyp WARN install got an error, rolling back install
gyp ERR! configure error 
gyp ERR! stack Error: getaddrinfo EAI_AGAIN nodejs.org:443
gyp ERR! stack     at Object._errnoException (util.js:992:11)
gyp ERR! stack     at errnoException (dns.js:55:15)
gyp ERR! stack     at GetAddrInfoReqWrap.onlookup [as oncomplete] (dns.js:92:26)
gyp ERR! System Linux 4.14.66-v7
gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd /config/node-red/node_modules/serialport
gyp ERR! node -v v8.11.4
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.6.2
gyp ERR! not ok 
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! [email protected] install: `prebuild-install || node-gyp rebuild`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR! 
npm ERR! Failed at the [email protected] install script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.
npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /root/.npm/_logs/2018-10-23T17_07_17_877Z-debug.log
23 Oct 19:07:17 - [warn] ------------------------------------------

I understand that to the trained eye some of these messages seem clear but i do not know how to fix them.

Since this afternoon my nodeā€™red addon does not start, below the error in the log. Was working yesterday, hadnā€™t done anything (that I know of) to cause this issue.
I am on HASSIO 0.80.3

18-10-23 18:55:27 INFO (SyncWorker_9) [hassio.docker.interface] Clean hassioaddons/node-red-amd64 Docker application
18-10-23 18:55:29 ERROR (SyncWorker_9) [hassio.docker] Canā€™t start addon_a0d7b954_nodered: 500 Server Error: Internal Server Error (ā€œlinux runtime spec devices: error gathering device information while adding custom device ā€œ/dev/ttyUSB0ā€: no such file or directoryā€)

EDIT: unistalling and reinstalling did the trick. Not sure what happened

1 Like

Honestly I had LOADS of errors, both in Node-RED and in HA after a restart, although once everything started responding, everything was working fine. Just for the heck of it, I exported all of my Flows to the clipboard and copied my NR config to a blank notepad as well. Uninstalled, then reinstalled NR, plugged the config back in, saved it, then started NR and it came up fine with no errors. Didnā€™t even have to re-import all of my flows. Gave HA a reboot, and it was fine. Came up nice and quick with no errors. Sooooo, I donā€™t know what to say. But definitely boots much cleaner now.

HI Team,

very new to HA, newer to NR - Ive come a long way in the last few weeks, installing HA onto a Pi3, flashing tasmota onto some sonoffs, installed some trial garden irrigation solenoids, interfaced a Google home, reverse engineering some Get URL commands to control some legacy IP switch devices, so Im chuffed with that, ( very steep learning curve). - My next step seems to be automation, and Iā€™m keen to experiment with NR. ( seems easier that the automations in HA.) but Iā€™ve come up against an overwhelming wall. Security / password/ SSL type acronyms. :frowning: - Currently my HA is running on my LAN, with no plans to remote access until I lock down the system. - But before I do this, I am wanting to play with NR. - Ive tried, read, experimented, reread, retried, but for th life of me, cannot get NR connected to HA.
to date, I can:
see the NR web gui, (local Ip:1880)

but when I try to call a service node ( per a youtube set up video) i get the following error:

[error] [server:Home Assistant] Home assistant connection failed with error: Connection to home assistant could not be established with config: http://hassio/homeassistant <password redacted>

In the NR addon config I have set SSL to false;
and here is where I am confused.

What password is what in the NR addon config?? and where are these passwords located in HA? - the best ive done is the API password in the secrets.yaml, but once entered into the edit/call/servcei node edit server node area ( where the API password seems to go, restatt everything, still no joy.

{
ā€œlog_levelā€: ā€œinfoā€,
ā€œcredential_secretā€: " I understand this can be anything?",
ā€œusersā€: [
{
ā€œusernameā€: ā€œIs this a specific user, or do I just create one?ā€,
ā€œpasswordā€: ā€œSame here?ā€,
ā€œpermissionsā€: ā€œ*ā€
}
],
ā€œhttp_nodeā€: {
ā€œusernameā€: ā€œWhich is the Node password, and is it set elsewhere?ā€,
ā€œpasswordā€: ā€œas aboveā€
},
ā€œhttp_staticā€: {
ā€œusernameā€: ā€œAs aboveā€,
ā€œpasswordā€: ā€œAs aboveā€
},
ā€œportā€: 1880,
ā€œsslā€: false,
ā€œcertfileā€: ā€œfullchain.pemā€,
ā€œkeyfileā€: ā€œprivkey.pemā€,
ā€œrequire_sslā€: false,
ā€œsystem_packagesā€: [],
ā€œnpm_packagesā€: [],
ā€œinit_commandsā€: []
}

Ive stuffed around so much, de-installing, attempting to delete folders, reinstalling, changing credential secrets, HA passwords etc etc, that Iā€™ve stuffed this up better than grandmaā€™s cushions.

I thought an uninstall / reinstall may have helped, but it didnā€™t. - I tried to delete folders from HA thinking the reinstall may reinstall them - probably stuffed this up to.

Any advice on how to get out of this mess, with a brief ordered dot point check list, would be very appreciated by a non coding type of guyā€¦

My longer term goal is to have HA, NR and a dashboard running in one of the fancy pants docker doo-dads on my NAS. (OK being silly here) Ive actually installed container station on the QNAP and have a HA and a NR docker set up. need to get the NR / HA 'pallette? installed, but Iā€™ll figure that out for myselfā€¦ been a steep curve, so much to learnā€¦ but damn fun!!

thanks guys,

Jarrod.
Australia.