Home Assistant Community Add-on: Tor

Not sure?
I don’t own an android device…

:tada: Release v1.3.0

This release is exciting, at least, for me it is. I’ve been working on this for months! And for you? Well, almost nothing changed :stuck_out_tongue:

So what did change? I’ve updated the workflows of the Community Hass.io Add-ons project. Things include:

• Replaced CircleCI and CodeClimate. We are now using GitLab CI, backed by a couple of custom servers building and testing these add-ons.
  • All add-ons are now scanned during built and release by Clair to prevent security issues in our add-ons.
  • All add-ons are constantly scanned and monitored by Anchore.io. We will be notified immediately in case of security issues occur. (Major thanks to Anchore.io for helping us out!)
  • The add-ons repository is now entirely generated and automatically synced with all the add-ons. This ensures repositories are in sync, never forgotten and releases are almost instantly.
  • The base images that these add-ons are built on are entirely revised.
  • All add-ons have been updated to follow the Docker best practices. These are checked on every code change by GitLab CI.
  • All add-ons had maintenance. All software is updated to the latest and greatest and the documentation has been revisited.
  • There are now 2 bots in place on the GitHub project. The Add-ons Assistant is helping us out with the GitHub issues and pull requests and the AddonsBot is fully active taking care of updating code across the different GitHub Repositories.
  • We now have Edge & Beta add-ons repositories available. This allows everybody to test the latest and greatest (in case you don’t care about stability that much, or just wanna help out!)
  • I’ve removed all the PayPal, Bitcoin, … buttons. If you’d like to show your appreciation, then please, just buy me a coffee.

So that’s quite a lot, right? So what changed in this specific add-on?

Full Changelog

Added

• Adds .yamllint configuration
  • Adds all architectures to add-on config
  • Adds Probot configuration
  • Adds initial add-on README template
  • Adds Gitlab CI

Fixed

• Fixes Markdownlint warning in License
  • Fixes hadolint warnings

Changed

• Replaces Changelog with GitHub releases
  • Upgrades add-on base image to v1.4.1
  • Updates README
  • Updates tor to 0.3.2.10-r1
  • Updates forum link in add-on README template

Removed

• Removes CodeClimate
  • Removes CircleCI

My ISP now uses cgnat and I’m unable to access my pi remotely. Will this solve my issue?

Thanks in advance.

I’ve tried this multiple times, but no luck. Running latest version hass.io on Rpi3. Testing with Android phone with orbot like this:
HidServAuth p4wdu3qd7xtmrv7v.onion kfYPJ0HrGXgSRlGesFBVvR myhassiopi
But orfox just keeps loading until timeout. Am I missing something?

Does it work without the stealth mode?

Sorry, forgot to mention I tried all possible combinations of settings. Even different port settings, and with an NAT rule in my router (which is unnecessary, I know). Debug level to the max it just says everything is fine.
With socks enabled I do get a warning: [warn] You specified a public address ‘0.0.0.0:9050’ for SocksPort. Other people on the Internet might find your computer and use it as an open proxy. Please don’t allow this unless you have a good reason.

And it also gives this warning: [warn] You are running Tor as root. You don’t need to, and you probably shouldn’t.

It would be good to make some of the documentation clearer for Tor dummies like me. I got it working, but I made it harder than necessary, given it’s actually very straightforward.

1. With the default config of no stealth, there is no authentication cookie, even if you enter client names. In this case you will only need the xyz.onion link from the logs (which are at the bottom of the Tor add-on page BTW - initially I went looking in the HA logs).

2. The default config of ports set to 8123 means 8123:8123 - i.e. you have to enter xyz.onion:8123 in the Tor Browser. I assume xyz.onion is port 80 like a normal browser. If you wanted to do this you would have to set the ports to 8123:80.

3. If you restart the add-on, you will need to hit the refresh link for the logs. Forget and you’ll be looking at the wrong log.

4. You can test if with a Tor Browser on the same internal network, so if you’re having problems, it’s not that.

5. I assume the down-side of no stealth is you open yourself up to crawlers. From the domain name, it looks like there’d be 16^26 (ie. 2 x 10^31) combinations to crawl through, so the risk ought to be tiny. Correct?

:tada: Release v1.4.0

Full Changelog

Fixed

• Fixes shellcheck warnings
  • Fixes Markdownlint warnings

Changed

• Moves build-env to latest
  • Rewrites GitLab CI
  • Upgrades base image to v2.0.1
  • Upgrades tor to 0.3.3.7-r0
  • Add instructions to enable .onion sites in FireFox. (#3) (@primetomas)

Feel free to open a PR on GitHub to improve it. :+1:

Can i use Firefox to acces home assistant with tor?how can i do that?

See the manual :wink:

sorry to bother, but it just says to set to false the option “network.dns.blockDotOnion”, and no further information

Ok, I’ll give it a shot. I’ve not done this before. Is there a particular IDE/editor to use? I’ve got Visual Studio and XCode, but I’m not sure they support markdown.

:tada: Release v1.0.0

Full Changelog

Changed

• Upgrades hadolint to latest
  • Upgrades base image to v2.1.1
  • Sets default Shell
  • Updates README and links

Questions? Join our Discord server! https://discord.me/hassioaddons
Enjoying my add-ons? Consider supporting my work: https://patreon.com/frenck

:tada: Release v1.5.1

Full Changelog

Changed

• Upgrades base image to v2.1.2

The addon works good, i just got a question, using Tor in Windows Is much raster and the login Is saved in the browser, but in android using orfox, i have to login everytime im enter home assistant, Is There a way to Solve this?

I guess that is something you should ask the author of Orfox.

:tada: Release v1.6.0

Full Changelog

• Upgrades base image to v2.3.0
  • Adds Hassio API security role
  • Changes configuration so all LAN devices can be published. (#6)

Hi,

I’m having some trouble in making the TOR add-on work. It gets stuck at the "[cont-init.d] 90-hostname.sh: executing… " line.
On my windows PC I need to check the “Tor is censored in my country” and choose obfs4 bridge. I think this might be the problem that I’m having. Is there a way to configure this settings in hassio ?

1 Like

Great,
thanks for that. Tor works like charm with my network devices.
Only thing that issue with ios. The only app i found in app store to make config with torrc and hiddenservice is red onion browser. But this app and the whole other ios tor apps can not load the start page of hassio. Same thing using ios tor browser to restart the fritzbox router does not work. Access is given. When you try to restart the router the site only refreshes.
With Android and Windows is all working great.