Home Assistant Community Add-on: UniFi Controller

problem solved. The controller has been moved to another server and the Unifi Add-on has been removed from the system.

Just restarted Hassio (power outage) and now it is telling me my password is wrong when i know its not!

I uninstalled and reinstalled, restored a backup and its ok now. I also tested restarting via Hassio page and it all starts up again ok.

Maybe its related to the power outage bootup?

Just today all my APs have an exclamation mark in the list.

Restarts of the controller and APs didn’t solve it.
No other changes within the network.
Anyone else seen this?

You need to set forwarding port 3478 on your router.

I read about that in Unifi’s support pages, but all APs are on the same network as the controller, so it’s not much to forward.
Or am I missing something here?

Edit: migrated to another controller. Evertything works fine now. Maybe there was some version incompatibility when the AP’s hade the latest firmware and the add-on controller doesn’t? The new controller has a later firmware.

:tada: Release v0.3.0

Full Changelog

Changed

• Upgrades Unifi to 5.8.30
  • Upgrades Ubuntu Base image to 2.2.0
  • Adds Hassio API security role

Questions? Join our Discord server! https://discord.me/hassioaddons
Enjoying my add-ons? Consider supporting my work: https://patreon.com/frenck

Is the AP firmware automatic updating working?

After updating the Add-on to v0.3.0 the controller is on 5.8.30, but my APs are on 3.9.27 and ‘check firmware’ does not show any updates, but the recommended AP firmware is 3.9.42 which was released two months ago.

Not to my awareness, I’ve had a nice notification some time ago about the firmware upgrade and applied it to all my AP’s…

From the help page:
“When you enable the option to “Automatically upgrade AP firmware” all access points will upgrade the moment you upgrade the Controller’s software version.”

Which has not happened in my case. I’ll wait a few days to see if it offers an upgrade, and if not then I can manually upgrade and see what happens next time. I have seen an upgrade offered before, but I cannot remember if that was before moving my controller to this Add-on.

And before I forget - thanks for this plugin and all your efforts for the community.

Hi Just started with Hass io on a Pi. Added configurator and samba fine.

Struggling with Unifi, comes up with fatal error “FATAL: The configured certfile is not found” . As a absolute newbie can you please help.

if you dont have a certificate, you need to change ssl: false.

E.g:

{
  "log_level": "info",
  "ssl": false,
  "certfile": "fullchain.pem",
  "keyfile": "privkey.pem"
}

Thank you James

I have recently tried this addon again. Installed the addon and then attempted a restore of my old backup.

Now been waiting for over an hour at the screen:

UniFi Controller is starting up...

Please wait a moment

Am I being impatient?

EDIT: 3 hours and waiting now…I’m off to bed.

1 Like

I’ve been using this controller for awhile now. I tried to set up cloud access though today and failed. After running exec /bin/bash I found out that /etc/resolve is pointing to nameserver 127.0.0.11 and apt-get update can’t resolve anything. Unfortunately there are no text editing apps included in this container, nor is there ping or nslookup. How can I override DNS? Or am I missing something more basic in this setup?

Not sure what or why you are accessing the docker container, but that is not needed. Cloud access is something I use with the add-on, just out of the box. Do you have valid SSL certificates? Setup the port forwarding?

The add-on is just able to do it and does not require anything special for it.

In my other sites port forwarding isn’t required on the firewall side for cloud access. I believe the controller makes a tunnel out to unifi, but I could be wrong. SSL certs also aren’t required for enabling cloud access. I have 4 other locations with controllers (Mac, Pi, cloudkey, docker.) I’m not sure why DNS isn’t resolving for this controller though, hence why I was accessing the container to troubleshoot. I’m running Hass.io on top of ubuntu so it might be some weirdness with that. If I could pass --dns to the container on creation I could override it’s DNS.

I was able to copy the resolve file out of the container, edit it, and put it back.
Instantly able to enable cloud services. (This will probably have to be done each update)

docker cp ffa3fc1575d7:/etc/resolv.conf .
nano resolv.conf
docker cp resolv.conf ffa3fc1575d7:/etc/resolv.conf

I’m not sure why this is the case. I checked my other containers such as home-assistant and DNS resolution works fine in them.

This is probably something odd with running Hass.io on Ubuntu 18.04.

Aside from that little issue: Thank you for making this for Hass.io, I’ve really enjoyed the ease of upgrading controller versions.

Seems like you stumbled upon an issue with Docker & Systemd Resolved.
Try line 5 & 6 from the following:

Restart your machine afterwards.

1 Like

Hi Frenck,

Updating or installing the addon gives a 500 error? Anything I can do as a workaround or just be patient?

Jurre

I’m not familiar with the issues you are describing, could you share logs?