Home Assistant Community Add-on: UniFi Controller

Sadly I can’t confirm. Mine is currently starting for over an hour again and not loading :frowning: .
Probably if I uninstall and install again, but I am not sure and is it enough then to load a backup from the \backup\unify\autobackup folder to get it working again afterwards?

Same here :frowning:

Posting in case someone needs it:

I started using nginx for ssl and had to reconfigure this addon for ssl to work - I needed get the AP out of adopting status

Controller/hostname IP: 192.168.x.x (I tried my hass url here but it wouldn't adopt)
inform url: myhassurl.com

I used unifi discovery chrome app to change the inform url on my AP

this worked. I thought I would have had to set the AP inform url to local ip, but by the time I’d alt+tabbed to the chrome app my AP adopted successfully

Where abouts are these settings please ?

Controller Hostname/IP is from step 7 and 8 of the instructions: go into your unifi controller settings and there’s a field under the controller tab

Next, and it seems not everyone has to do this but it’s listed as a known issue, is you need to tell your Access Point that the above “inform url” has changed. You can do that by sshing directly into the AP or using unifi’s discover app

It was mentioned above somewhere that we weren’t sure if a url was okay for the hostname field in the unifi controller settings. In my set up at least, a url is not ok, I needed the local ip of my machine running hassio-unifi-addon.

1 Like

Yep ! It was right there in the instructions.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

I needed the local IP of the raspberry pi as well. The host name would not work.

Since 0.82.1 my controller boots up again, so I guess it was indeed an issue with Home Assistant itself. Strange, but I am happy it works again :).

I’m looking specifically for the unifi add-on but it could be useful for others as well.
Is there a way to set this up, using a separate IP to the Pi? I would like my unifi controller to be on a different IP to my home assistant box, which will make it much easier to move in the future and remove the chance of any port conflicts etc.

More a general docker question than Unifi specific but…

…is it possible to access the files in the Unifi docker container ?

I’m running it as an add-on to Hassio on a RPi3 and am wanting to modify Unifi’s config.gateway.json as it’s the only way to set up OpenVPN.

1 Like

I’m having some trouble getting this to work using DuckDNS. I get a “NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID” error in Chrome when trying to access https://MYNAME.duckdns.org:8443/.

I CAN use the URL https://hassio.local:8443/.

{
  "log_level": "error",
  "ssl": false,
  "certfile": "fullchain.pem",
  "keyfile": "privkey.pem"
}

I have a generated privkey.pem and fullchain.pem in the ssl-folder from before.

I guess it have something to do with a invalid certificate for the URL?

I have port forwarded 8443 to local port 8443. Do I need to port forward any more ports?

Hi, can I somehow install SSL certificate as per video here? I can´t see /usr/lib/unifi folder.

I´m running hass.io with UniFi Controller as add-on on RPI3, latest build.

Thank you

1 Like

For anyone else wanting to modify or add the config.gateway.json file and is running Hassio on a RPi, the easiest option is to create a snapshot, inject the file into the unifi.tar.gz which is inside the snapshot .tar, then do a partial restore.
I’ve added this file to get a OpenVPN server up and running.

Any chance you would share the details on how you did @jivesinger?
Would love to get OpenVPN integrated with my UniFi :slight_smile:

I started by making a partial snapshot including only my Unify add-on.

Then SSH in to your USG and follow the guide here :

There is a comment down the bottom of the page about having to change the name of a file to be able to use it. I found this also and changed the file name to something simple like ‘easy-rsa.deb’ using the mv command.

For some reason my OpenVPN client wouldn’t pull the certificate data from the ovpn file I created, so I had to transfer the certificate files from the USG to my laptop using the scp command as documented here:

then load them in to the client separately. :man_shrugging:

When creating the config.gateway.json file you may have to change some values depending on your network setup.
In the file he provides, his home network is 192.168.10.x and the subnet is the IP range that will be allocated to connections from the VPN.

Download / copy your snapshot from your hassio install and extract it.

** MAKE A COPY OR 2 OF YOUR SNAPSHOT **
It is easily broken if not re-compressed correctly

Drill down to *snapshotname*_unify/data/unifi/data/sites/default/ and copy your config.gateway.json file in.
This assumes that you only have one Unifi site.
If there is already a .json file here, we’ll need to be careful about how the additions are added to the existing file.

Re-compress your file and copy it back across to hassio.

Restore the partial snapshot and wait.

I had to try this 3 times before I succeeded.
I think the last time I failed because I didn’t wait long enough after the restore before giving up and trying something else.
Give it at least 20 mins before getting worried that someting is wrong ( I’m on Rpi3B+ )

If you’re certain its not working, check logs to get any hints as to whats wrong.

Let me know how you go or if anything is not clear.

Cheers.

1 Like

@frenck
first of all, thank you for your contributions.
looking for a bit of guidance. I’m not running hass.io; Im running standard HA in docker and Im using the unifi/linuxserver image.
how did you overcome the potential mqtt/HA/unifi conflict?
thank you

Freshly installed the Unify Controller addon, tried to start it aaaaand… nothing. Not even a log output… The start button turns red for a second or so after showing the loading ring but then won’t do anything else and goes back to normal… HASS.io and the Add-On are on the latest versions.

are you trying with or without ssl?

So this is a weird one. Installed a fresh install of Hassio and the unifi controller plugin. Have an SSH key setup via duckdns. Migrated my temp controller off my laptop and it all migrated fine. Then suddenly all my devices started disconnecting and going into an adoption loop. SSH’d into each of the devices and I noticed the inform url is: http://172.30.33.1:8080/inform. So I went ahead and set-inform’d to my hassio controllers IP and they’d adopt for a few minutes then bomb out and go back into the loop and the inform is set back to http://172.30.33.1:8080/inform. Is there something I’m missing? I set the controller to the IP of the hassio install. I wasn’t able to get any ports open though because of the devices going haywire though.

i had a similar problem a while back, but that was from reseting from a back up on a fresh install. Have you set inform twice in command line via SSH? if so, then reset your Unif products and adopt them again