WireGuard: fast, modern, secure VPN tunnel.
WireGuard® is an extremely simple yet fast and modern VPN that utilizes state-of-the-art cryptography. It aims to be faster, simpler, leaner, and more useful than IPsec, while avoiding the massive headache.
It intends to be considerably more performant than OpenVPN. WireGuard is designed as a general-purpose VPN for running on embedded interfaces and supercomputers alike, fit for many different circumstances.
Initially released for the Linux kernel, it is now cross-platform (Windows, macOS, BSD, iOS, Android) and widely deployable, including via an Hass.io add-on!
WireGuard is currently under heavy development, but already it might be regarded as the most secure, easiest to use, and the simplest VPN solution in the industry.
WireGuard is pretty simple, however, can be quite complex for a user that isn’t familiar with all terminology used. The add-on takes care of a lot of things for you (if you want).
Follow the following steps for installation & a quick start:
Add our Hass.io add-ons repository to your Hass.io instance.
Add the following URL:
- Install the “WireGuard” add-on.
- Set the
hostconfiguration option to your Hass.io (external) address, e.g.,
- Change the name of the peer to something useful, e.g.,
- Save the configuration.
- Start the “WireGuard” add-on
- Check the logs of the “WireGuard” add-on to see if everything went well.
- Forward port
51820(UDP!) in your router to your Hass.io IP.
- Download/Open the file
/ssl/wireguard/myphone/qrcode.pngstored on your Hass.io machine, e.g., using Samba, Visual Studio Code or the Configurator add-on.
- Install the WireGuard app on your phone.
- Add a new WireGuard connection to your phone, by scanning the QR code.
You can always get support here at the Home Assistant community forums, join the conversation!
You have several options to get them answered:
- The Community Hass.io Add-ons Discord chat server for add-on support and feature requests.
- The Home Assistant Discord chat server for general Home Assistant discussions and questions.
- Join the Reddit subreddit in /r/homeassistant
You could also open an issue on GitHub, in case you ran into a bug, or maybe you have an idea on improving the addon:
- Open an issue for the addon: WireGuard
- For general repository issues or add-on ideas open an issue here
We will do our best to help you out!
Repository on GitHub
Looking for more add-ons?
The primary goal of our add-ons project is to provide you (as an Hassio / Home Assistant user) with additional, high quality, add-ons that allow you to take your automated home to the next level.
Check out some of our other add-ons in our Community Hass.io Add-ons project.