Compact Custom Header

Would it be possible to combine the per device views with per user views?

The use case is as follows: I have 2 iPads and I can’t distinguish them by user agent as they both show iPad and don’t have a unique ID are something like that.
If the logged in user can also be used, than I can make separate views for these iPads.

Have cleared cache on desktop, laptop and phone. Not working for me.
Im running lovelace in yaml mode.

lovelace:
  mode: yaml

Maybe some of my other custom lovelace resources dont play along?

My lovelace
https://hastebin.com/vogubusuqi.coffeescript

title: Home Control Panel
resources:
  - url: /local/lovelace/mini-media-player-bundle.js?v=0.9.8
    type: module
  - url: /local/lovelace/tracker-card.js?v=0.1.5
    type: js
  - url: /local/lovelace/layout-card.js?v=bd7e5a
  - url: /local/lovelace/button-card.js?v=0.0.3
    type: module
  - url: /local/lovelace/card-tools.js?v=0a97d3
  - url: /local/lovelace/card-modder.js?v=35eb37
  - url: /local/lovelace/vertical-stack-in-card.js?v=0.0.9
  - url: /local/lovelace/fold-entity-row.js?v=f28e6e
  - url: /local/custom-lovelace/compact-custom-header/compact-custom-header.js?v=0.2.3

What’s all working and not working in your config? Is it just the header setting that’s getting flipped or is it all the options?

It also looks like you only have the card in one view, but limit android to views 9 & 11. That means this card wouldn’t get fully loaded on android. You should at least have this card on each starting view, in this case 1 & 9. In the readme I suggest adding it to all views when using user_agent_views, but you might be able to get away with just 1 & 9. Make sure both have the same config options as well.

I don’t believe there is a way to detect the logged in user (someone correct me if I’m wrong here, please). When there is a way to do so I will add it, but I also imagine at that point you would be able to set user views in HA.

You could also use a browser that allows you to change the user agent on the ipad.

1 Like

There is a way to do that. There was a post a while ago where it was explained (maybe on Github). Will try to find that and let you know.
Would be great if this can be added :+1:

Edit
@mayker will this work?

Edit 2
Here it is already used in a custom card.

1 Like

Awesome, looking into it now!

Update:

You can now use usernames in user_agent config, big thanks to @gerard33 for this one.
Example:

user_agent: mayker, Android
2 Likes

So I am using an uncomplicated setup - just loading the card in resources and then one line to load the card on one view. Whenever you update the card I do a hard refresh/clear cache on that card. Should I load the card on every view and then do a hard refresh on every view?

After the update I see errors in the console and a logfile write in HA until I do the hard refresh.

It seems to be happy just hardrefreshing/cache clear on only one tab - but maybe if I don’t include it on every view and refresh every tab it does not load the new card?? I’m confused by some of the above comments…

The refresh only needs to be done on one tab/view after update to use the updated code, just like any other card. So, essentially, the way you’re currently doing it.

One of the reasons for having the card on every view is to help with issues that can happen on mobile devices. When using mobile and navigating away from the browser and back the browser will often refresh and if the card isn’t included in the view that gets refreshed then the custom header will fail to load.

Also, if using user_agent_views and hiding the first tab for an agent, the card will redirect to the first visible tab/view for the agent and if that tab/view doesn’t include the card then these issues can happen as well.

I recently changed the wording of the readme to say that if you’re able to put it in the first view only and it works, awesome! Otherwise if this causes issues, put it in every view or at least the first visible tab/view for each agent.

Thanks for the clarification on that in the readme but that was what originally caused some confusion lol.
Seems like a boots and braces approach is to include it on every view. I do get weird font stuff happening on mobile because it refreshes as you say but that’s not the fault of your card - it’s always done that and it’s bloody annoying but that’s iOS I think.

Thanks!

First of all, made some changes to the new “username” option.

- type: custom:compact-custom-header
    user_agent: remote
    header: true, false
    tabs: true, true
    menu: true, false
    notification: true, false
    clock: disable, options
    clock_format: 24, 24
    clock_am_pm: true, true
    user_agent_views:

Still same problem while running 0.2.4
I am having my lovelace split up the “Frenck” way https://github.com/frenck/home-assistant-config/tree/master/config
Maybe this could be the problem?

With the above setup (Now included on all my lovelace views) i still get (when logged in as any other user than “remote” i get no header, but tabs, when logged in as the user “remote” i get the tab “9” witch is in fact xxxx.duckdns.org/lovelace/8
With no header, no tabs (and therefore i cant se if the clock is there!)

When i look in the chrome console on my computer logged in as NON "remote i have this error:

workbox-core.prod.js:1 Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Failed to execute 'fetch' on 'ServiceWorkerGlobalScope': 'only-if-cached' can be set only with 'same-origin' mode
    at Object.<anonymous> (workbox-core.prod.js:1)
    at Generator.next (<anonymous>)
    at n (workbox-core.prod.js:1)
    at workbox-core.prod.js:1

And as logged in as “remote” i get the same

better and better. :+1:

1 Like

Im going nuts…

With a new hass.io install on a new VM, on your v0.2.4 and with only this as a lovelace config:
(Running on a fully cleared cache chrome browser in incognitomode)

title: Home
resources:
  - url: /local/custom-lovelace/compact-custom-header/compact-custom-header.js?v=0.2.4

views:
  - title: Home
    cards:
        header: true
      - type: entities
        title: Test
        show_header_toggle: false
        entities:
          - sun.sun
  - title: 1
    cards:
        show_header_toggle: false
        entities:
          - sun.sun

Am i not suppose to have a header then?
I get this:

No errors in chrome console…

With this lovelace:

title: Home
resources:
  - url: /local/lovelace/tracker-card.js?v=0.1.5
  - url: /local/custom-lovelace/compact-custom-header/compact-custom-header.js?v=0.2.4

views:
    cards:
        tabs: true
#        disable: true
        clock: notification
        clock_format: 24
        entities:
          - sun.sun
  - title: 1
    cards:
        entities:
          - sun.sun
  - title: Settings
    icon: mdi:settings-outline
    cards:
      - type: custom:tracker-card
        title: Tracker Card
        trackers:
          - sensor.custom_card_tracker
          - sensor.custom_component_tracker

I have this:

If i enable “disable: true” i get the header, but then i have no clock.
My goal is to have the header (original layout) when im on my computer, tablet or phone and logged in as anything else then my “remote” user.
The “remote” user will only show 2 tabs (views) and have no header and a clock at “options”

This option disables compact custom header completely and restores the original default header, but requires a refresh after setting.

header: false will remove the header all together leaving you with no buttons, clock, or anything.

If I understand correctly, you would like the remote user to only have 2 tabs shown, compact header active, and a clock at options. Everything else should be the default HA header.

views:
    cards:
        user_agent: remoteusername
        user_agent_views:
          - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5    # Since this agent uses disable: true below, it doesn't really matter what we put here.
          - 2, 4             # Tabs for remoteusername
        disable: true, false # Disables Compact Header completely for anything other than remoteusername
        clock: false, options

@mayker Thank you for beeing patient and got me to finally figure out how to make your fine custom card work in my setup.

1 Like

No worries at all, glad we got there in the end!

Thanks for adding the username. Works great :+1:

I noticed the config only works correctly if I start with the usernames and then the user_agents. If I do it the other way around then the user_agent_views are not correctly used.
And I have some issues when using 2 usernames. The settings only seem to work for the first user and not for the second one, which seems to get the default user_agent_views (placed the card in the default tab of the second user as well).
Will do some more testing and let the results know.

Config:

user_agent: user1, user2, iPhone, Nexus
      menu: true, true, false, true, false
      notification: true
      tabs: true, true, false, true, false
      voice: false
      user_agent_views:
        - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18  # Default
        - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16        # user1
        - 17,19                                         # user2
        - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16        # iPhone
        - 18,19                                         # Nexus 7
      dir: /www/lovelace/

That’s by design. It will always use the settings of the first last agent matched, so if username is first last in the config list, it’s matched first last and those settings are used.

Please do. Will test this a bit when I can as well.