ConBee on NUC driving me crazy

I was using a Pi4 for my HassOS setup, and deConz was working perfectly. I created a snapshot and transferred everything over to an Intel NUC, and everything works great except for the conbee. I’ve deleted everything, reinstalled, reflashed firmware, everything I can think of. As far as I can tell, it is actually working (it’s blinking in deConz, and at one point, the switch I’m trying to pair was blinking as I pressed it), but I can’t get devices to pair or respond in Phoscon. Does anyone have a suggestion about tracking down the problem? No errors in the logs.I’m getting constant GET requests, but nothing that suggests an error.

Note: The NUC only has 3.0 ports, and I don’t have a 2.0 extension or hub to try that, but I doubt that’s the issue, because the gateway is showing up and acting like it’s properly connected.

Can you please show the gateway page in Phoscon where you seethe version etc.? Did configure USB passthrough to the VM for the ConBee?

First, I’d update the firmware and deconz software to the latest version.

I had a VERY bad experience with deconz/conbee II and a NUC. I gave up. There are tons of posts about the add-on having issues in the Deconz mega thread. It was suggested to me to run deconz on another device and my plan currently is to set up a pi zero with the image.

You might want to give a read to this document, seems kind of indicting that Intel would need to publish this. Maybe put a USB 2 hub on your NUC and then a USB2 extension cable from that hub to your zigbee radio:

USB 3.0* Radio Frequency Interference Impact on 2.4GHz Wireless Devices - White Paper

2 Likes

Can confirm. I’m running HA Supervised on a NUC and originally tried to use deConz with my Conbee 2. I eventually gave up and just connected it directly with ZHA and haven’t had any issues.

I also had the same problems, hooked it up to a separate pi4 at the end.
Interestingly enough i tried after 2 months to reconnect it and it worked.

Running dedicated Hass.io on Nuc i5

I hadn’t thought of this. Good idea.

Just to confirm, I tried with ZHA and it still doesn’t work.

By “it” what do you mean?
Nothing will pair?
HA doesn’t see the USB stick?
You cannot upgrade it?
Your entire ZHA network is down?

The stick was visible, would be set up with zero issues, nothing in the logs. Nothing would pair or connect. I finally got a USB extension and that solved my problem. If anyone else is having this issue, it is a USB 3.0 extension in a 3.0 port. Just getting the stick away from the nuc seems to have solved the problem.

1 Like

So I had the same trouble as OP and it took me a while to figure everything out.

I’m using an Intel NUC with Virtualbox to run Home Assistant. I added the conbee 2 stick using the USB 2.0 passthrough in Virtualbox.

After using a USB 2.0 cable between the 3.0 port of the Intel NUC and the Conbee 2 stick, the ZHA integration started to work. But I found out that the DeCONZ addon didn’t. I had a lot of trouble finding out what happened. First of all: if you install the DeCONZ software on your intel NUC instead of installing the HA addon, it will pop up at the integrations section of HA. In my case, the DeCONZ software didn’t run smoothly. Most of the time it wouldn’t connect to the gateway.

It started to work after deinstalling the software from the NUC. Setting the USB passthrough of Virtualbox to 3.0, but connecting the stick with the 2.0 cable. Delete all addons and integrations using the conbee 2 stick and then restart the VM. After this sequence I installed the DeCONZ addon. After that the DeCONZ integration popped up as it should.

Let’s hope it stays stable now.\

Update: when I updated my gateway via the DeCONZ addon (phoscon app), the USB passthrough in Virtualbox crashed. I had to restart my VM and nothing was updated. Gonna try again later.

I am using a conbee 2 + deconz on ubuntu arm64 rpi4 8gb and it works great

the usb3.0 interference is on the pi4 also. I have the conbee2 plugged in with a small 3ft usb 2.0 extension in the usb 2.0 port on the rpi4. if I had it plugged in directly to the usb 2.0 port, either wifi/ble 2.4ghz or usb 3.0 was causing too much interference and made it unusable. and I had wifi/bluetooth off so…