Configuring AppDaemon to work on HASSIO that has Duck DNS

Hello,

I am currently trying to configure AppDaemon to work with my Home Assistant (installed on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+). It appears it is not uncommon for people who have a configuration set up with Duck DNS to struggle with this, but I cannot figure out what to do. Below is what I have in my appdaemon.yaml file.

secrets: /config/secrets.yaml
log:
  logfile: STDOUT
  errorfile: STDERR
appdaemon:
  threads: 10
  app_dir: /config/appdaemon/apps
  plugins:
    HASS:
      type: hass
      ha_url: http://hassio/homeassistant
      token: SuperSecretToken
hadashboard:
  dash_url: http://192.168.86.43:5050
  dash_dir: /config/appdaemon/dashboards

Are you running Home Assistamt Supervised or Home Assistant OS (add-ons, snapshots etc.)? If so, you should use the appdaemon addon and you don’t need to configure URL, token, etc. As the addon handles it.

@Burningstone I am running Home Assistant OS. That is what I thought too, but the default configuration would not open the Web UI. I would receive an error telling me it could not find the site in another tab (and still receiving the same error).

I guess I will uninstall/reinstall appdaemon to see if that helps.

How did you try to install AppDaemon? By using the official Add-On?

you’ll need NGINX addon so you can access Appdaemon locally and still keep DuckDNS working for external. Otherwise you’ll need to use the DuckDNS URL everywhere.

Ok, why is this needed? I don’t understand, I never used DuckDNS, I thought it’s just a Dynamic DNS service.

It’s a DNS service. As soon as you enable external communication, all communication needs to go through that, including internal. It’s the drawback to exposing your pi with a dns service. Luckily you can use a proxy to route internal info so you can use both your internal IP and External connection.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation. I probably never faced this issue because I setup NGINX before I exposed any port in the router :slight_smile:

Thank you @petro, I will have to give it a try.