Configuring MQTT controlled Humidifier

Hey folks,
I couldn’t find any topics mentioning that, so here it goes.

I have a Tuya-based humidifier that obviously can’t be controlled by any Tuya integrations, but using tuya-mqtt I managed to get it under control. Now the question is how to add such a device to HA so that it knows that it’s a humidifier and I can finally use Humidifier card, while all the communication goes through MQTT.

If there is no ready-to-go solution, I’d like to get at least some guidance from where to start.
Thanks!

There is no generic/template humidifier unfortunately.

Does it sound like I need to develop a custom integration that’s described in here?

If you are capable of creating a template humidifier/dehumidifier that takes in switches and sensors that would be an awesome contribution to home assistant.

I’d like to be able to use that card but due to my dehumidifier being controlled with seperate switches and sensors not in the humidifier domain I can’t and just diy my own card, which isn’t very functional.

I guess I can do that. Gonna start with something small then. Not sure how hard would that be, but I want to support the following stuff:

• Switch on/off
  • Get current humidity level in %
  • Empty water tank

It feels more like a custom version of the Humidity card tho… Will check it out.
Happy that I’m not alone here.

If your integration can take in switches and sensors and combine them into an entity in the humidifier domain you can use the existing card with this new entity. Have a look at the generic thermostat. It does the same thing but for the climate domain.

1 Like