Confused on using Scripts in lieu of Scenes for transitions

So I see in my logs the deprecation notification for transitions:

The use of other attributes than device state attributes is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Invalid attributes are ['transition']. Read the logs for further details: https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/scene/

So I’m trying to get Scripts running. But, nothing I do does anything other than generate errors. I can’t even take the example from the Scripts page and copy it in. It just gives me errors:

Am I doing something obviously wrong that I’m missing?

Where are you putting it when you “copy it in”?

Settings → Automations & Scenes → Scripts. Then “Add Script” → Create New Script, then on the new script page click the three dots in the upper right corner and select “Edit in YAML”. Paste. Error.

Remove your first two lines. When adding a script that way, you don’t need to declare the script nor give it a name. That sample is for adding the script via the HA config YAML.

Ok I will check that out. Thanks. The whole script thing to just fade a light on and off is extremely non intuitive. Its too bad we can’t just keep the transition tag because it’s just dead simple. But if other projects are the norm then it seems to be very trendy right now to add tedious steps and unnecessary button clicks to even the most simple of client actions. ¯_(ツ)_/¯