Create a virtual Electricity Meter Dial

Hi,

I would like to create a virtual Electricity Meter dial, that has an initial value set and then increments from the readings it receives from home assistant glow?

Basically I want a visual way to see the count according to home assistant (home assistant glow) vs taking an actual meter reading and hopefully they should match up.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to do this please? I assume I could use a numeric helper, but not sure where to add the calculation aspect of it?

Thanks for any advice!

1 Like

Hi Tony,

I’ve just done a similar thing with my gas consumption. I have a total consumption figure, which is just increasing everyday, and this is based on pulses generated from my meter.

I have setup a number of Meter Helpers which provide me with Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Annual gas consumption readings. These are quite easy to do.

Now, there is a bit of yaml code where you can reset the meters, or ‘calibrate’ them by adding in your existing meter reading in the yaml code. HA will just take the current meter pulse total (which will not match your meter) and add to this the meter reading you have provided in the yaml code - this should give the existing meter reading number.

If you scroll down the page on the Utility Meter documentation, you will see the Reset and Calibrate code. I understand you have to put these into the configuration.yaml file - but not yet tried it myself.

Code example:

service: utility_meter.calibrate
target:
  entity_id: sensor.gas
data:
  value: '11577.645'

Obviously, the value as above is the reading taken from your meter - you will need to know what your meter measures in and whether you require the decimal points, and the sensor name will have to be changed to match your particular sensor name too.

If you change any of the Energy metering values, it does take a few hours for changes to be noticed, so just beware if something doesn’t happen instantly.

I hope this helps :+1:t2:

Cheers,

Mike.