Custom cards working on mobile app, but not desktop browser

Recently my setup has been having all sorts of issues with the HACs integration. It refuses to update anything, and I went through the effort of trying to remove it completely to see if a reinstall would fix things. It did not.

I say all this because I mainly use HACs to install custom frontend cards. After several frustrating hours I gave up and reverted to manually installing said cards to lovelace directly. This seemingly is working, but I’m noticing something odd:
Everything works on my mobile app as expected, however, my desktop web browser experience is broken for a couple select cards. The custom sun card and the mini media player card both refuse to display. No obvious warnings or errors of any kind.

I’m unsure why the experience would be different when the underlying configs are identical?

It is often the browser cache that makes the cards behave weird.
Clear the browser cache for your HA site and see if it helps.

1 Like

It may the other way around. The only reason the moble app is working is because of its cache.

Are the resources loaded correctly in Settings / Dashboards / (top right) / Resources ?

HACS did this automatically for you. If you manually loaded the cards you have to do it yourself.

1 Like

Oh wow, you were totally right!
I thought I was doing a thorough cache dump on my desktop (in Chrome, developer mode → empty cache and hard reset). But I was able to get my hands on a device that didn’t have an existing cache and indeed my Home Assistant layout was broken.

To your point about manually setting the the resource path: I went through several variations of paths trying to debug this, but since my desktop was giving me stale feedback I was continually changing and rechanging without anything actually changing. Basically, I was unknowingly chasing my tail :upside_down_face:

I’ve gone back through and properly pathed my cards and my test device seems to confirm this. Now my question becomes: how do I properly empty the cache on my other devices? Desktop and Chromebook running chrome + iPhone running Safari?

Thanks for helping me avoid wasting more time and potentially losing my mind!

Desktops: Ctrl + Shift + R

Home assistant Companion App: Settings > Companion App > Debugging > Reset frontend cache. The go to the dashboard and pull down to refresh (iOS, not sure how that is done for Android).

2 Likes