Customize Entities in new, unified Configuration menu?

Dumb question. I swear I’ve looked all over for it, but I can’t find the frontend UI for customizing entities anymore. This is the one I’m referring to (pulled from another thread):

Please read the 2021.12 release notes (the first listed breaking change):

https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2021/12/11/release-202112/#breaking-changes

1 Like

Ahh, didn’t even see that. Thanks for the info!

Is there no more user-friendly way?

1 Like

What are you trying to do? The file editor add-on and some basic yaml make customizations pretty easy.

i am really missing this feature. Ugly to do it inside a configuration file. Last changes were a good step away from doing to muich things in config files. Now you go back into that direction :frowning:
What I often do there is setting an entity_picture.
Now I even need to restart the home assistant every time I change something there.

1 Like

My use case was changing an input bool from an occ sensor to motion, which also doesn’t seem to be possible from the UI. One thing to note though is that you don’t have to restart all of HASS if you have this in your configuration.yaml:

With that you can reload just the customize.yaml file

Also miss this.
My use case was to add an “entity_picture” to each and everything that I show in Lovelace. Having UI for this with direct change of state was of course many times easier than modifying the YAML.

Okay … I realize this is an old post, and that I’m behind the game here … but …

I’ve read that article regarding breaking changes and customizations … but for the life of me, I can’t find the section the document is referring to.

The customize.yaml UI (customization) has been removed. The YAML configuration for this is recommended and remains available. To customize entities, use the entity settings available via the icon in the top right of the entity “more info” dialog (when clicking on an entity). Entity settings now also allows customizing device_class for certain binary_sensor and cover cases.

Any pointers to where this is?

Thanks!

Where what is?

Customization?

It has been removed from the user interface. You have to define any customisations in YAML. As shown here:

https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/configuration/customizing-devices/#manual-customization

Thanks for the reply - I think that helps a little, but I’m still confused about this:

The customize.yaml UI (customization) has been removed. The YAML configuration for this is recommended and remains available. To customize entities, use the entity settings available via the icon in the top right of the entity “more info” dialog (when clicking on an entity). Entity settings now also allows customizing device_class for certain binary_sensor and cover cases.

I was trying to ask what icon/more info/dialog this was referring to.

Settings > Devices & Services > Pick a Device > Pick An Entity

Area and Enable/Hide are under Advanced Settings at the bottom of that pop-up card.

Wow!

I totally missed that area. Thanks bud - appreciate your help!

i used to be able to add my own “custom attributes” to a entity. In the new ui layout 2022.8.1 i cant find that option anymore, even in the above suggested paths.

Is that option in a different area im overlooking ?

cheers

The customize area in the UI has been removed.

Is this a bug in File Editor? Can I no longer include customize.yaml and have to transfer those settings back into configuration.yaml? Or have I missed something else?

Also this one…