Dealing with overlapping zones

Can HA handle overlapping zones? If so, what’s the requirement for a zone to be the current one, if someone is inside several zones at the same time?

1 Like

Would it be beneficial to just change the size of the zones so they don’t overlap?

Not in my case, I was hoping I could add one big zone for the region itself, and smaller zones with higher priority for specific locations inside of it. This way, for example, the location reported could be Home → Townname → Work, instead of Home → not home → work.

Also, I can see some possible uses for zones sharing the same coordinates but having different radius.

It might be working this way already, but it’s not in the docs, and I want to be sure that the behaviour is consistent between restarts before I rely on it for automations.

4 Likes

Sorry to revive, but did you ever test this @chrio ?

Hi, did you ever get to the bottom of this?
Like you, I can think of a number of uses for bigger zones with smaller inner areas?

Hi, I would like to setup a big zone for my city and smaler zones within it that has priority over the big zone. Would also love to be able to use other shapes than circles where applicable.

Did you guys get around to test out your use cases?

Just test it.
I would recommend using a fake gps app to make HA believe you are somewhere instead of moving around for real.
Use mock gps app for Android, it works great.

A workaround would be to have input select/text with all the zones instead.
And if the area is not_home then it could use city name from the GPS data.

Thanks for the tip, ill try that

Hello folks,

I am also trying to control the absence with two zones on top of each other.
For explanation:
Zone A: (100m radius)
Zone B: (8km radius)

I need Zone A to control my external sockets and other automations.

Zone B is there for when our two devices (iPhone) leave it, it should trigger something. In my case, a variable in Raspberrymatic is set to True to turn my underfloor heating down.

Is that possible somehow? I’ll say instead of a circle, a donut would be a good zone: D

Polygon shapes is possible in Node red.
But that means you don’t have a zone per see. You would have an automation that triggers when entering or leaving this donut shape.

I have tested this and it’s problematic. Home assistant doesn’t seem to know which zone you are in and switches between the 2 over lapping zone even few minutes.

A simple solution would be to prioritise the smaller zone over the larger one, this is how i was hoping it would work.

The use case for me is a work on a large campus and i would like to track which buildings I’m in during the day as well as whether I’m on campus or not. At the moment the tracking seems all over the place and generates rather large logs unnecessarily.

This also brings me to another thing that would be nice. Rectangular or better yet multipointed zones so that some zones don’t need to overlap, but that’s a request for another post.