Detect if my grill is left on

Howdy! I am trying to detect if my grill has been left on. Is there a sensor that can tell homeassistant that:

1. The temperature is, say, over 200 degrees for more than x minutes?
  2. Let me know if the gas line is still active after x minutes?
  3. Let me know if the knobs (3) are anything but set to off after x minutes?

I can either fix this or trade in my absent minded teenager.

Thanks!

All are doable, with the gas pressure being the hardest.

I would likely use an ESP8266 or ESP32 with a 100k ohm thermister like those used to measure the bed and hotend on 3d printers.

The ESP’s can all use the DIO’s to read a hall effect transistor for the control knobs, you could epoxy the halls effect behind the off position for the knob and epoxy a small neodymium magnet to the knob itself. Make sure that you have the correct magnet pole facing the transistor.

I don’t like abortion, but I can understand strangulation when the kid is between 13 to 18 years old.

1 Like

It goes on, our 22 year old left home recently, it is quieter, tidier and there are less things left turned on.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I was kind of hoping for an existing solution. Funny that there is not one. Seems like a problem others have had. I’m not much for soldering or breadboarding.

There are a few examples available on google, most are easy to do.

Does the kid get an allowance? Let them buy or deduct a bottle of propane from it. That should leave an impression and a sense of urgency to turn off the grill.

It leaves an impression on me when I have to fill tanks.