[solved] "device not connected to local push notifications"

I hit the same thing with an app installed from F-Droid and latest Home Assistant OS.
The reproduction is simple: reboot Home Assistant.
Android application seems to be unable to reconnect to the server after this, but killing application and starting again helps.

I had this issue too, tried loads off stuff to fix it, eventually nailed it down to my Samsung Galaxy watch. When I deleted the watch from Home Assistant Mobile App, notify worked again.

notify.notify is a catch all service call. Its recommended to create a notify group and use that to dictate which devices should get the notification instead of trying all of them :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are a genius. Removed my TicWatch and notify started working again. Thanks for the post

After OS upgrade to Android 13 (and on a different device) it works, not sure if it is related or not, but I no longer have this issue.

This issue is now fixed in the latest version of the Wear OS app. There was a bug where the watch was registering as a local push device which it is not. It has since been fixed now that official notification support was added to Wear OS.

Hello, I my case, this issue was resolved by clearing the notification history in the Companion App.

1 Like

In my case I had tried running the mobile app on Windows 11. As soon as I deleted the Win11 PC device from Mobile App in Integrations then all is good again. I will do as you advised and look into creating notification groups. Thanks!

Thanks for this! All my notifications stopped working and I had no idea why.

Even calling only one app or a group was having issues until I removed the Windows 11 HA app.

So yeah, it seems that running play store version and any other will present issues.

Thanks a lot. This solved the issue for me!

Where can I find that?

Where can I find that?

Open the HA APP on your phone -->SETTINGS–>Companion Application–>notificatons history–> delete all

1 Like

clearing the notification history worked for me for a day or 2, but then the problem reoccurred.
subsequently clearing notification history isnt working, but if i delete the server from companion app and re-add, it works for a while before repeating the issue.

are there any HA core errors or companion app errors when teh issue reoccurs?

my HA Core errors are more around cloud based integrations failing, nothing that may point to the companion app push notifications failing.

but it stops working after a few hours.

I saw the below error in the companion log, but on readding the server when the notifications resume working, the same error still shows up, so i am assuming it is unrelated.

Full companion log : https://pastebin.com/raw/0n39C6wM

12-16 14:23:46.340 11067 23542 E android.minima: failed to connect to jdwp control socket: Connection refused
12-16 14:23:48.340 11067 23542 E android.minima: failed to connect to jdwp control socket: Connection refused
12-16 14:23:50.341 11067 23542 E android.minima: failed to connect to jdwp control socket: Connection refused
12-16 14:23:52.342 11067 23542 E android.minima: failed to connect to jdwp control socket: Connection refused

I’m also having this issue. Re-occurs about once per week for me. Persistent connection is set to never.

When I notice it I can often force close the companion app, clear the cache, then re-open the app and it’ll work again. After doing this 2-3 times that stops working and I need to go through the fresh start procedure and completely wipe everything and start over. I’ve now done the fresh start 3 times.

This is only happening on my phone and not the other 2 connected. Although I also get significantly more notifications than the other 2.

Is there a specific thing that can cause this to stop working? Maybe a notification setup wrong or something?

Which domain did you whitelist?

EDIT: 3 of the top 5 domains blocked by AdGuardHome in the past 24hrs were firebase related. Added them to the whitelist and force stop/restarted the app and notifications are working again. Let’s see if this sticks.

firebaseinstallations.googleapis.com
firebaseremoteconfig.googleapis.com
firebase-settings.crashlytics.com

By this do you mean stop the watch from receiving notifications from HA? Or did you have it in the app some other way?

My phone just updated. Tested notify.notify via Dev Tools → Services and it’s working now… /shrug

Seems that there are multiple causes of this issue.

For my part, it started when I changed phone.

I have been through all of the above and nothing has resolved it. No logs on the Companion app, because the notifications don’t get there. Only “Device not connected to local push notifications” on the desktop.

A few posts saying that the Google Play version of the companion app can cause a problem, but no mention of how you can get anything else for Android. Any ideas please?

Also a few mentions of Google Firebase settings causing the problem. I haven’t installed this, will I have it by default and if so where do I go to configure it please?

you need to look at the companion app errors when the connection is first established, that is probably where it fails

thats incorrect the code is nearly the same with the exception of minimal version defaulting to the connection being set to always

firebase is the fallback and not the cause of the issue, try to force stop the app open it again and then check companion app errors