Did Yamaha MusicCast need an update?

Hi,

I have defined a Yamaha MusicCast receiver for testing purposes a few releases of HA ago. Now, it seems something is trying to update, but failing.

Here’s my config for MusicCast:
`#

Yamaha MusicCast

media_player:

• platform: yamaha_musiccast
    host: 192.168.18.18
    port: 5005
    `
    And here’s the log with the error, note how many times it happens in 7 hours or so!

`
9:41 AM components/yamaha/media_player.py (ERROR) - message first occured at 1:13 AM and shows up 2772 times

Update for media_player.den fails
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py”, line 268, in async_update_ha_state
await self.async_device_update()
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py”, line 448, in async_device_update
await self.hass.async_add_executor_job(self.update)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 57, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/yamaha/media_player.py”, line 213, in update
self._sound_mode = self.receiver.surround_program
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/rxv/rxv.py”, line 313, in surround_program
“%s/Surround/Program_Sel/Current/Sound_Program” % self.zone
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘text’
`
So it seems it wants to do some sort of surround program, which I don’t have setup on the receiver, or as it’s a small WXC-50 Streaming Network Audio & Zone Player/Pre-Amplifier, that it may not have the capability to do surround programs, like an AV receiver does.

It seems the Lovelace media player card is working. It powers on and off, adjusts volume, and sets program source. So maybe it’s working, but

This MediaCast is going directly from HA to the receiver, not via HomeKit.

I’m now on 0.100.2 of HA.

Thanks for your help!

-Ambi

Hi @Ambidexter

I’m experiencing exactly the same error in my setup. All observations are the same as yours too; lovelace card is working fine.

Recently I’ve noticed that the Yamaha hasn’t been working so well with some automations I’ve had set up (e.g. if Sonos playback starts, turn on and switch to optical input).

Also, looking at the Yamaha “what’s new” log in the MusicCast app, I see an update (v3.40 - 30 July 2019) that mentions changes to the surround decoder type setting. Think a change to the workings of the Yamaha device is messing around the HA MusicCast implementation…

Hi,

When I got the RX-A780, it has surround settings. So I don’t get the error now. It was just with the preamp that HA had the issue.

Now all I have to do is find a way to delete the old preamp from HA! :smiley:

Regards,

Larry