Difference RGBWW and RGBCT Light components?

Hi,

I started to fiddle with this new Light-component because the RGBWW Light-component with newest version has 4 brightness controls! In my opinion it’s not the best user experience.

What is the difference between the RGBWW and the new RGBCT Light-components? I thought these are one and the same. I’ve got several Gledopto RGBCCT LED controllers. They use 5 channel leds with R,G,B, WW and CW channels. I don’t get the ‘color_temperature’ and ‘white_brightness’ channels. Docs states it has 5 float channels. So you need a LED with Red, Green, Blue… the others can’t be anything different than Warm White and Cold White right? I haven’t seen any led which has a white_brightness channel input and a color_temp channel input. The docs confuse me. Why not the same configurable parameters?

Also when I turn my 5 channel LED-controller into a RGBCT Light-component RGB color wheel in Home assistant is gone.

The interface of the RGBWW and RGBCT components is identical, the difference in the output: RGBWW outputs a cold warm and warm white level (in addition to RGB), while RGBCT outputs a brightness and color temperature (in addition to RGB).

because the RGBWW Light-component with newest version has 4 brightness controls! In my opinion it’s not the best user experience.

That’s a choice HA made, not something ESPHome can do anything about.

I haven’t seen any led which has a white_brightness channel input and a color_temp channel input.

We have :slight_smile:

Also when I turn my 5 channel LED-controller into a RGBCT Light-component RGB color wheel in Home assistant is gone.

Are you using MQTT? RGBCT doesn’t work with MQTT yet in 2021.8.

@oxan previously in HA ESPHome RGBWW-component had brightness and color-temp controls for WW and CW. Now HA changed it to some exotic control. Your RGBCT description is exactly how RGBWW recently worked. What is the physical difference between LED hooked up to RGBWW or RGBCT? Long story short would a LED-strip with R,G,B,WW,CW channels work with RGBCT-component?

And yes my home automation relies on MQTT. So for now RGBCT only works through Native API.

What is the physical difference between LED hooked up to RGBWW or RGBCT?

As I said before, the RGBWW component outputs cold white and warm white level, while the RGBCT outputs a brightness and color temperature.

Long story short would a LED-strip with R,G,B,WW,CW channels work with RGBCT-component?

No, if you have cold/warm white channels you’ve to use the RGBWW component.

So for now RGBCT only works through Native API.

Yes, fix is in the works.