Dimming control for a remote device

Hello everyone

I am trying to find a way to control a PWM light from a light switch on the wall, but the switch will not be directly connected to the light. I can’t use the dimmer output connected directly to the lamp.

This is a concept test. The light in question will be fed from the main automation cabinet with 12V and will also receive an ethernet cable (maybe PoE). At the light itself there will be an Olimex ESP32-PoE board driving a MOSFET connected to the LED light.

The perfect device for me would be a Lutron (or another top quality manufacturer) dimmer that could output MQTT commands through a network cable or, worst case scenario, a WiFi connection.

Lutron has a series of 0-10V dimmers, but I don’t want to run low voltage high impedance signals through my whole house, I am experienced with that, it’s sure problem.

The craziest idea I had so far would be to connect the output of such a 0-10V dimmer to the analog input of another Olimex Board.

If I made myself clear enough, anyone has an idea?

Thanks a lot and have a good weekend.

Tales

I do this exact thing with Lutron Pico remotes, either the 2 or 5 button ones. The 2 are used for “scene” control, a down press will shut off the main light, another dims the accent lights, and another shuts those off as well, etc. The 5 button has on/off/dimup/dimdown/fav buttons. HA then intercepts the button presses and controls the devices.

1 Like

That’s a nice idea, thanks for sharing. I’ll order a couple Picos and give it a try!