DIY Video Doorbell with Voice Response | ESPHome / ESP32 Camera / DFPlayer Mini

I’m glad that it’s working out for you so far, @Juggels

The one titled Camera Surround Full will work as-is with the acrylic front insert. In my final doorbell, I used the “with acrylic ring version”. I had a small acrylic ring cut that I glued on around the very thin ring of that version of the camera surround. It gives a slightly smoother appearance than you can get with 3D printing, but it is almost certainly overkill. Also, that very thin portion of the ring is difficult to print. I couldn’t get it to print at all with some slicers.

Well spotted! That link was a cut and paste error. The correct link is: - Lens insert 2mm x 16mm

I was planning to glue it in place with a light coat of B7000 glue around the sides, but so far it has stayed put with friction.

That’s the dirty little secret of the doorbell. It is mounted internally with Blue-Tack. i went through many iterations of printed mounting points, but finding one that worked well with all of the wire routing and everything else going on inside the housing proved to be beyond my 3D modelling skills.

Next, removing the GPIO pins from the ESP32 Cam board and just soldering directly to the points you need makes placement in the housing simpler.

Honestly, if you have the space around your door to make a housing which is wider, I’d say to design your own housing. It would be much easier to assemble if the housing were wider. I just didn’t have the space.

1 Like

Thanks for the info and updating the link to the acrylic disc you used… Might have to see if I can source that elsewhere, almost €10 in shipping is a bit steep :laughing:

One of the reasons why your design spoke to me was just how slim it appears, especially when comparing it to the well-known commercial solutions. I’ll have a go at the design as-is, if I can’t get it to fit I guess I’ll have to start learning CAD/3D design :smiley:

1 Like

So I’m having a bit of an issue getting the MP3 audio played back. I suspect the DF players i have are faulty so can i ask, when powered up should the LED on the player light up?

Good question. I’m afraid that I don’t remember. I’m away from the house for a few days, but I will check when I return. Sorry about that.

1 Like

Yeah, I had a similar issue with one of mine. On the working one I’m using now I can see a small red LED when it is powered on.

1 Like

Thank man. I’ve returned the faulty ones and ordered some new ones :slight_smile:

Great project, @ronschaeffer, and thank you for sharing. This will be my doorbell second edition.

Here is my first working project which is muting SONOS, and playing the doorbell, then restoring the SONOS state.

What are you using to make these drawings?

BTW: Have you achieved two-way communication with a microphone?

1 Like
2 Likes

Thank you, Ståle.
Where can I get more components to import in Fritzing, eg. the ESP32-CAM and other products alike. Do you know?

I usually just googles it, e.g. “Fritzing ESP32” and I often find the components I need. If you don’t find the ESP32-CAM you can use the regular ESP32 (if it has the same pinout? :thinking:)

2 Likes

What site did you use to create the audio text files?

Hi @ronschaeffer , Im jumping the gun for this but im very new at DIY. I ordering esp32 cam and dfplayer.
I havent found the small speaker for it, but my question are

1. Do it need to be flash like @jampez77 said?
  2. How do i connect to esphome? Because i didnt see any micro usb port that can connect to usb on esp32 cam
  3. What about the power?

Sorry for the long delay. There are a few ways that you can do it, but I used the MyVoice Android app to generate MP3s.

I’ve updated the README file on Github to mention MyVoice.

No, I haven’t seen any feasible ESP32-based solutions. Do let me know if you come across any.

Looks very nice! I used to have chimes playing through Sonos on an earlier doorbell project, but I ended up with an overly complex Python script snapshotting the Sonos status and then restoring. That was pre-Home Assistant. I suspect it could be much simpler using Home Assistant.

Sorry, I don’t understand the question.

You need to use an FTDI programmer for the first flash. See here for an example of how to use one. For subsequent updates, you can simply use OTA.

I’ve wired a 5V (actually USB) cable through the doorframe so that the doorbell has constant power. The cable is not visible inside the house.

Great project! Nice job!

I have some questions:

1. Is it possible to use another camera module, more discreet? If yes, does the custom 3d printed housing needs to be recreated ?

2. Is it the housing adaptable for outdoor use? Or should I print some protection ?

Thanks for your help

Thanks, @julienda.

It should be possible to use any camera module that is compatible with the ESP32-Cam. You will find it easier to position the camera inside of the doorbell if the flex is longer than that of the camera module which is included with the ESP32-Cam.

It could probably be made water resistant by using silicon to fix the front bezel to the body and the body to the wall, as well as between the front and the camera surround, and between the front bezel an the button. You would need to do something like that even if you designed a different housing.

Good luck!

hello,
first of all congratulations for such a great project!
The time and effort you have put together into this project is enormous.

I have follow all your instructions and setup everything as instructed.
My only problem is the latency between esp32 and home assistant.
e.g. I press the button and I get the card after 15-20 seconds.
I get the camera 1 out of 10.

The esp32 signal is not the best but is not that bad (it’s 72dbm)

Any advice? Any ideas why such a latency?

Thanks for the kind words.

As for the latency, are you sure that it is between the ESP-32 and Home Assistant?

As a starting point, try watching the state of binary_sensor.doorbell_button when you press the physical button. Does it change immediately to on, or do you see long latency there?

What else can be?

The button changes immediately. But after that all the rest are extremely delayed.
I get the card it tablet after 15-20 ‘’. I almost never get camera picture.

Today I bought a new power supply and a new esp32.
Will test them and get back to you.