Docker installation (hassio/homeassistant) vs Python virt - Help

Hello,

After some weeks in my Home Assistant Virtual Machine, I searched how to add Bluetooth tracker, bluetooth speaker, etc…

By searching for information I found, that I’ve installed hassio on docker in my ubunto VM and for what I read Hassio is limited for Bluetooth devices.
Is this true even for hassio in docker?

Now my question is:

For someone who likes to learn and be dont want to be limited, what is the best installation?
My main linux distribution is CentOS, is the virt python in CentOS 7.5 a good choice?
Is better the docker HA then the docker Hassio?

Thanks for your help
Ivan

hassio literally runs docker

Why not learn how the add-ons work and build your own setup using normal Home Assistant Docker? The add-ons are just docker images running alongside home assistant.

The least restrictive installation would be installing HA in a python virtual environment on your OS. But you need to check that the OS has a new enough version of Python - HA requires at least Python 3.5.3

I would be surprised if there was any limitation on using Bluetooth in a plain HA docker environment, so if you have docker set up already, it would be easier to try that first.

I remember your nickname from the topic, you talk about the differences from hassio and homeassistant and wanted to change the getting started page, but even at the end I got this question… thanks for your help

When you say hassio literally runs docker, are you talking about this?

@gpbenton I remember your nick too :stuck_out_tongue:

CentOS 7.5 has python 3.6

I can create a new VM with whatever I want, to install from scratch (want to copy the device configs from my actual hassio to the homeassistant) what is better and safer (updates etc…) virt python or docker? (only talk about homeassistant)

Thanks for your help and for another newbie question :smiley:

I am saying that hassio IS running in Docker, no matter what platform you install it on. You need to be more specific about what it is you are asking, because when you say:

It doesn’t make sense.

I feel that docker is always the easier option. I don’t even need specific versions of python installed on the host. I just need docker, I can run it anywhere, and there are ZERO dependencies, aside from Docker itself.

1 Like

That’s why I’m saying I’m newbie and I’m a bit confused.

tell me if i’m wrong:
When we install hassio on raspberry is it running in a docker.
We can install hassio only with docker.
To install home assistant we have 2 choices: Docker or virt Python

Python: more difficult with all the dependencies, python version, etc…
Docker: only need linux with docker, and no dependencies.

Now for guides, as we will start from scratch with home assistant, I will not have add-ons , what is the best choice for the guides and youtube videos to learn/support?

Thanks for your help

Yes. When you do a normal HASSIO install on a pi, it is running HASSOS which is a Docker host operating system whose sole job is to run the basic necessary components to manage Docker and start Hassio.

If you do not want to install HASSOS method (the img file provided from home assistant for a pi), but you want hassio, then you have no choice but to install Docker, and run it through Docker, because literally, HASSIO really consists of 2 docker containers. A supervisor container, and a home assistant container. These 2 containers work together to form hassio.

I would consider it so.

Pretty much.

Just use the Home Assistant documentation. The project moves so fast, that youtube videos and most ‘third party guides’ are outdated within months.

Do you understand what the add-ons are? You aren’t going to start with a python venv and then ask why you don’t have a hassio menu or add-ons are you? :wink:

ahhaah :smile:

Before doing this kind of questions I will try to explain what I understand.

I will go for the docker home assistant (I can use bluetooth devices, z-wave or there are limitations?)

For the Add-ons, if I understand they are docker containers!?

Can you send me a link for example install duckdns and let’s encrypt container?

can’t find anything :confused:

thanks

bluetooth and z-wave work perfectly fine in my docker install

Add-ons are docker containers that have been pre-configured to work in HASSIO. You will not be able to use an add-on directly. You can see what docker container they are built off of, or what application they run, and go find a regular docker container for that app.

It’s just a docker container…I don’t use duckdns, so I can’t help there.

sign up for a duckdns domain at duckdns.org. You will find set up instructions there for pretty much any system

then (assuming docker is already installed) you will install the docker container for letsencrypt. A popular one is “linuxserver/letsencrypt”.

Here is the docker run command for my set up:

sudo docker run -d --cap-add=NET_ADMIN --name=letsencrypt --restart=unless-stopped -v /home/finity/docker/letsencrypt/config:/config -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro -e PGID=1000 -e PUID=1000 -e [email protected] -e URL=ZZZZZZZZ.duckdns.org -e SUBDOMAINS=hass,hassapi,conf,graf -e VALIDATION=http -p 80:80 -p 443:443 -e TZ=America/New_York linuxserver/letsencrypt

To add to it, your router might even support duckdns directly which negates the need for a duckdns container running.

Thanks for the tips :slight_smile:

It start already like that :confused: :
[root@vmdocker config]# docker run -d --name=“home-assistant” -v /home/HA/config:/config -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro --net=host homeassistant/home-assistant
Unable to find image ‘homeassistant/home-assistant:latest’ locally
latest: Pulling from homeassistant/home-assistant
bc9ab73e5b14: Pull complete
193a6306c92a: Pull complete
e5c3f8c317dc: Pull complete
a587a86c9dcb: Pull complete
72744d0a318b: Pull complete
6598fc9d11d1: Pull complete
770079cf7a7e: Pull complete
03c4d24b3523: Pull complete
aaa91e2585ce: Pull complete
3401ecefcdfa: Pull complete
5fc08cfaefa8: Pull complete
6d4b37323687: Pull complete
5ea2c8fd68c6: Pull complete
8da53b23fa8a: Extracting [==================================================>] 267.4MB/267.4MB
39229c6235fc: Download complete
docker: failed to register layer: Error processing tar file(exit status 1): open /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/hass_frontend/service-worker-hass.js.map: no space left on device.

sounds like it might be time for a bigger “device”. Try adding more disk space to your VM?