Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

just updated mine. getting no errors however my TTS is not playing on my echo devices. it was working fine until this new version.

I’m pretty sure you’re not supposed to add the word “Alexa,” to the routine.

Check you entity IDs.

I know this may be a little off point but, i have been pulling my hair out with the TTS. i can make my alexa spot speak on command with the dev-services tool and have also set up automations which work too, Great, but according to the docs it is possible to use if you use the mini media player to announce messages (https://github.com/kalkih/mini-media-player#tts-object)

however it doesnt seem to be that simple, im getting an error message when i click the send/folderd paper icon

Failed to call service tts/undefined_say.

What am i missing, Thanks in advance

Do you have the following set up in your card?

tts:
  platform: alexa

@Richard_Gaunt: In addition to this setup, please note the mini-media-player may not actually support the latest version of the alexa_media component. I don’t know one way or the other. If it doesn’t, you’ll need to work with that team to fix it.

What can you do with that in the minimediaplayer lovelace card?
Does it show you the tts message that was send last to alexa?

When i include
tts:
i get an error in my config when checking???

I haven’t used it, but my understanding is it exposes a TTS box in the player that recognizes how to use alexa_tts. The default card assumes you have a tts component which can pass a file to the media_player which won’t work for Alexa.

Please set the config settings in the mini-media-player card.
Please properly quote the relevant configuration so we at least have a chance to debug the problem. Without proper quotes and context of where you put it, it’s nearly impossible to debug. I can’t tell if you made changes to the alexa_media platform, which is the completely wrong place or the mini-media-player card. I also can’t tell if you have the right indentations or not.

Worked like charm, thanks alot! I had no idea you couldn’t just download the files directly :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi, i will try again, my config looks like this:-
tts: platform: alexa

The error message i get when checking is

Platform not found: tts.alexa

Log Details (ERROR) Sun Mar 03 2019 11:16:04 GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time) INFO:homeassistant.util.package:Attempting install of colorlog==4.0.2 Testing configuration at /config Failed config General Errors: - Platform not found: tts.alexa Successful config (partial)

My mini -media-player looks like:-
artwork: cover entity: media_player.richard_s_echo_spot hide: power_state: false source: true volume: true icon: 'mdi:amazon-alexa' tts: alexa type: 'custom:mini-media-player'

I always downloaded the files directly and it worked for me every time. Don’t see the difference.

Just tested:

"entity_id": "all",
  "media_content_id": "qmusic",
  "media_content_type": "TUNEIN"`

This works to let TUNEIN play on all of my Echo Dot’s

Invalid config, should look like this:

- type: custom:mini-media-player
  entity: media_player.echo
  tts:

@alandtse Did anything change with the alexa_tts service call in or after v1.0.0? Doesn’t seem like it from reading the docs.
Some users can’t seem to get tts working together with the mini-media-player card anymore. Could be caused by invalid card configurations, but I can’t test myself since I got no echo devices.

it depends on what you mean by “download”. If you mean going to the github and clicking on the “clone or download” button and then copy the files to the correct location then that will work too.

1 Like

Just tested it. I’m on the latest version of this component and also your card. TTS works for me on my echo plus using the mini-media-player card.

1 Like

This is exactly the way I do it. Download zip file. Didn’t there is a wrong way to download the files.

Could you explain what this does in the miniplayer? Don’t have it and I’m interessted how you use it? What can you do with it? Advantage compared to the normal mediaplayer.

Some people go to the github code listing and copy/paste directly from there and think they are “downloading” the file. But what they are doing is copying an html page and that’s what causes issues.

Downloading by the button or copying the “raw” code are generally functionally equivalent.

1 Like

I don’t use the mini-media-player for tts. I just tested it to help out.

Ok, maybe someone else can say what this is able to do.

@alandtse another quick question. Is it possible to use tts with the fire stick too? I tried it my calling a routine and turning on my input boolean with that and then it should answer, but it didn’t.
Echo devices work. Also last_alexa sensor picked the fire stick as the right last device, but it seems tts is not working for the stick.

Can someone confirm that?