Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

Is your alexa_media folder in custom components written correctly?

!secrets is wrong. It’s !secret

I must have been playing with that at the time, sorry, but it’s since been changed back to the way it should be. sorry about that.

config:

alexa_media:
  accounts:
    - email: !secret alexa_email
      password: !secret alexa_password
      url: amazon.co.uk

notify:
  - platform: alexa_media
    name: alexa_media

h4nc
I have copied and pasted all the files again from the v1.2 but still getting the same error.

There may be something else at play here so not sure if it’s entirely down to a problem set up with the media player component… and also why I was playing with secrets/secret etc.
My weather, solar panel , deconz zigbee set up and google maps tracker devices and sensors are all not working either so I suspected a “secrets” file issue but my mariadb is working which also uses the “secrets” file so it can’t be that.

I get the usual:

2019-03-13 15:21:54 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom component for alexa_media which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you do experience issues with Home Assistant.
2019-03-13 15:21:59 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom component for alexa_media.notify which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you do experience issues with Home Assistant.

and then this…

2019-03-13 15:22:48 ERROR (SyncWorker_8) [homeassistant.util.package] Unable to install package alexapy==0.3.0: Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by ‘NewConnectionError(’<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x759dea10>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again’)‘: /simple/alexapy/ Retrying (Retry(total=3, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by ‘NewConnectionError(’<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x759de1b0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again’)‘: /simple/alexapy/ Retrying (Retry(total=2, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by ‘NewConnectionError(’<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x759dee50>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again’)‘: /simple/alexapy/ Retrying (Retry(total=1, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by ‘NewConnectionError(’<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x759de330>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again’)‘: /simple/alexapy/ Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by ‘NewConnectionError(’<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x759def70>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again’)': /simple/alexapy/ Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement alexapy==0.3.0 (from versions: ) No matching distribution found for alexapy==0.3.0 You are using pip version 19.0.2, however version 19.0.3 is available. You should consider upgrading via the ‘pip install --upgrade pip’ command. 2019-03-13 15:22:48 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.requirements] Not initializing alexa_media because could not install requirement alexapy==0.3.0 2019-03-13 15:22:48 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for alexa_media: Could not install all requirements. 2019-03-13 15:22:48 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to set up dependencies of alexa_media.notify. Setup failed for dependencies: alexa_media 2019-03-13 15:22:48 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform alexa_media.notify: Could not set up all dependencies. 2019-03-13 15:22:48 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.notify] Unknown notification service specified

preformatted text isn’t’ working either… urgh!

The error is that HA is unable to install alexapy 0.3.0 and is complaining about connection errors. Please try installing it manually using pip install --upgrade alexapy.

I’m running Hassio, I don’t think that is possible. SSH doesn’t work, or at least I’ve never been able to log in.

If that is incorrect then I’ll get on it again

I assume you’ve tried to reboot already? I don’t use hass.io so may need to defer to others on this thread on how to do the manual install.

Install SSH & Web Terminal from Hass.io Addon Store and you can get a web terminal at port 7681

@lessmann I also use hassio and I did not install alexapy manually. However everything works currently so I must be on the latest version.

Maybe you can force it to install the latest version, be commenting out all lines about this component and deleting the alexa_media folder in custom_components.

Than I would restart ha and start again.

• Load the latest version
  • copy it to your custom components folder
  • comment in your configuration.
  • restart

Maybe you are lucky and this forces alexapy to update.

Last night, on Hassio 0.89.1, I verified alexapy was not installed by default on Hassio. I installed using pip & pip3 by following the instructions in the media_player wiki FAQ.

I do not know if they included it in 0.89.2 which was just released.

how have you checked that it wasn’t installed?

I have HAssio installed on Raspian Lite.

Login to Raspian

sudo docker exec -it homeassistant /bin/bash

That gets you into the docker container.

pip list | grep alexapu

pip3 list | grep alexapy

To install

pip install alexapy
pip3 install alexapy

exit

returns you to the underlying OS.

Like I said, documented here: https://github.com/keatontaylor/alexa_media_player/wiki/FAQ

notify.alexa_media works well, but if I go into the homeassistant container I get this

bash-4.4# pip list | grep alexapy
You are using pip version 19.0.2, however version 19.0.3 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.
bash-4.4# pip3 list | grep alexapy
You are using pip version 19.0.2, however version 19.0.3 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.

So it seems that it’s not installed.
Strange!!! :hushed:

Should I upgrade pip and pip3 ? :thinking:

PS:

Upgraded pip and seems that alexapy is not found

bash-4.4# pip3 list | grep alexapy
bash-4.4# pip list | grep alexapy
bash-4.4#

I’m running Hass.io on Tinkerboard 2.10 and HA 0.89.1. 1.2.0 notify works without any additional install, just ensuring the custom folders are in the correct location. Works brilliantly thank you @alandtse

Inore those warnings. The python pip installer is not the latest but that’s OK. The fact it did not return anything with alexapy & the version means you need to install it.

I would not worry about upgrading pip & pip3.

I upgraded Hassio from 0.89.1 to 0.89.2 today. I am interested if alexapy is still installed. If they just replaced the homeassistant container, it will not be installed. I cannot check from work.

Now I set the debug and I get

2019-03-13 18:43:07 DEBUG (SyncWorker_9) [alexapy.alexalogin] Trying cookie from file /config/[email protected] 2019-03-13 18:43:07 DEBUG (SyncWorker_9) [alexapy.alexalogin] cookie loaded: &lt;RequestsCookieJar[&lt;Cookie at-xxxxxx
2019-03-13 18:43:07 DEBUG (SyncWorker_9) [alexapy.alexalogin] Logged in as [email protected]
2019-03-13 18:43:07 DEBUG (SyncWorker_9) [alexapy.alexalogin] Using cookies to log in
2019-03-13 18:43:07 DEBUG (SyncWorker_9) [alexapy.alexalogin] Log in successful with cookies

Strange or normal? :hushed:

Not sure.
When I installed last night I saw a notification in the upper right. I needed to respond to a captcha for Amazon.

No captcha for me…

Well, it’s working and it’s ok, if it will not work with new updates I know I have to install alexapy via pip3

Thanks

1 Like

I’ll try it tonight. I was trying on 88.2.

that sounds like a good idea, I was about to try this but my problems just got alot bigger …
on restarting, my pi did not want to restart again. It’s dead! Not a total surprise, the signs were there.
Luckily I did a back up pre-HA update so I’ll start a fresh install. Maybe it’s time to upgrade to a NUC
Thanks for all the tips, I’ll get HA back up and I’m sure all will be fine. I’ll set up SSH though, always handy to have.