Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

Yes. I just did it yesterday. Working great on Hassbian.

I see the note about not being able to initiate media. I imagine that it will be a difficult to send arbitrary audio to the echo devices so I’m curious; are you starting with an approach that just emulates a voice command. i.e. from HA send “alexa, ask plex to play guns and roses”?

Besides that, I consider this a huge accomplishment and I’ve been able to get tts working. It removes my one regret that I went with Echos over Google Homes.

1 Like

Was able to successfully add this. Is there a way to add only a specific Alexa entity (or exclude the unwanted ones)? It added 6 entities for me, but only one is an Echo.

No filtering yet, but I do need to add basic filtering for devices that cannot be controlled this way. (This Device, EchoSim, etc)

That will be perfect. May be allow a config setting to enter only the devices to be added. I have 6 devices, but only Echo.

The devices can be hidden using the existing customization configurations provided by HA. Which is probably a better way of doing it instead of allowing a config option directly for the component.

Indeed, but I want to avoid filling in the captcha 6 times :wink:

Umm, the captcha should be once per amazon account. Assuming it gets entered correctly on the first attempt.

No…I had to fill in at least 3-4 times. May be I did not enter the right letters. Do we add spaces there when the characters are separated?

No spaces needed, but I’ll test some more and make sure there isn’t an issue with the first captcha

I tried entering the captcha 3 -4 time before trying the above. The very next time it took.

@keatontaylor Great work by the way, this has filled a very glaring hole for us Echo / Home Assistant users!

The same was happened here

@keatontaylor

Do you have any advice on how to uninstall the add-on from Hass.IO. There have been a few posts from other users with the same issue but we have not received any response.

I hope you have an idea. I have shared my error-log as well (earlier post)

thanks a lot

1 Like

I’m sorry that I haven’t responded. The reason the add-on will not uninstall is due to an error on my part when setting up the labels within the add-on docker image. Unfortunately the steps to remove require logging into the HassIO machine and editing then addon.json file within the /resin-data/hassio folder and removing all references to the alexa-api add-on.

The solution I am working on now is giving everyone who is having an issue a dummy update that simply adds the label needed for uninstall to work correctly.

UPDATE - Ability to invoke playback from home assistant

Preliminary version 0.7 is out on my GitHub. This isn’t done yet, so I’ve put it in a feature branch which you can find here: [https://github.com/keatontaylor/custom_components/blob/play_media/media_player/alexa.py]

I’m sorry that I have not have time to squash some of the bugs related to the component not working across the globe, but that will happens soon. What I did want to do is get this out because I was excited about this. It is not 100% yet but with the 0.7 version you should be able to use the media_player.play_media service to instruct the echo devices to play a song of your choice.

The parameters are as follows:

{
“entity_id”: “media_player.bedroom_echo”,
“media_content_id”: “Pumped up Kicks”,
“media_content_type”: “AMAZON_MUSIC”
}

Currently known media content types:

AMAZON_MUSIC, SPOTIFY, PANDORA, TUNEIN, I_HEART_RADIO

For the media_content_id you can provide it an artist name, album title, playlist, etc. Essentially type the command for this field as what you would speak to Alexa to get her to play the song, minus the content provider which is supplied by media_content_type.

7 Likes

Thanks for the quick response

tested this and it also works :+1:t2:

I am too stuck after the update. Looking forward to the addon which allows us to uninstall it so I can start fresh and get back to loving my TTS with Alexa :slight_smile:

Did this version fix the captcha issue?

@keatontaylor I’m having an issue where I can not seem to rename the echo devices.

I have installed a new echo plus, and moved one to another room since starting to use this addon, but HA continues to display it as media_player.jasons_echo_plus even though I have renamed it in the Alexa app to ‘Lounge’.

I have deleted the alexa.py and __pycache__ files, rebooted, and started again, changed the name in known_devices.yaml. No luck, stays with the same name.

Any idea where it is caching the name/s so I can delete the cache? Thank in advance.