Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

Yes. That 's the correct setting. However, check which country is allow

allow - amazon.us , amazon.uk

It’s probably prone to failure, but… I have two echos fairly close to each other, I noticed a while back that if one echo said "alexa…, the other echo would wake up. I never tried any commands, but I suspect if you put two echos or dots near enough to each other you could have one provide the necessary commands to the other.

I have done zero testing, other than seeing that one echo can “wake” another echo.

I have done this with a google tss media player that’s in the same room as my dot, and if its quiet in the room it works, but as im sure you know the dots do not take voice commands well in a normal (with kids) setting unless its quiet. It would be awesome to get this to work like the the alexa tts works (silent sent command) My fingers are crossed this will eventually be available.

Makes sense. I have a few extra dots I’ve collected. I was thinking about putting two somewhere out of the way, like in a closet. Just for that purpose, but it is a little overkill. :slight_smile:

actually, that’s not a bad idea!, on black friday they are selling dots for $20 usd each at almost every typical big box store.

I had this idea as well. It does not work unfortunately.

That’s how it works here.

Does it not work at all, or it’s just flakey?

You mean only those are allowed to be used? Or that i must add that option to the config?
And how to configure tts service? Just like i did with google:

tts:
  - platform: google
    language: 'it'
    cache: true
    cache_dir: /tmp/tts
    time_memory: 300

Simply changing the platform with alexa?

Does anyone know if it’s possible to control Alexa when playing music from PLEX? My Echo Dot (2nd gen) is listed as “idle” when playing music from PLEX (media server, via the PLEX skill). Everything else works fine.

With those you can control the Alexa as a media player, you need these in the configuration file, and the alexa.py script, see post 1.
TTS doesn’n work (yet) for Italian Alexa users… See the discussion above a few days ago.

For the url: amazon.it / I’m not sure which country is support to be use with. This you have to check. I know only .us and .uk those countries all supported.

Once you have alexa platform in your HA. When first load will ask you to put in passcode from pop-up picture, put in the passcode you see from the pop-up picture.
All done you will see alexa as one of your media player. media_player.alexa_name in entity_id

Developer tools>service>media_player.alexa_tts will shows this time and you can choose alexa devices you want if you have more than 1.

** alexa media player cannot use with google tts **

I set up all and i was not asked about the passcode, but i can see my echo plus device listed among others media players and i can see also the media player alexa tts among the services.
About tts, so i am not forced to configure it in configuration.yaml as i did with tts google?
I mean i must put this

- platform: alexa
    language: 'it'
    cache: true
    cache_dir: /tmp/tts
    time_memory: 300

Or not?

use the service: media_player.alexa_tts as your tts to your alexa devices. Don’t need any tts platform setting.
Test your alexa tts in service.

Ok thansk… all is clear now, but why i was NOT asked about the passcode?

May be new update don’t ask anymore. I add alexa media player long long ago which ask me the passcode.

Ok i tried the service with the message “Hallo” and echo plus answered “cannot find the answer to the question” (In Italian of course)… Why did not says “Hallo”?

how you set up alexa as media_player. From which country? As mentioned above alexa_tts is still not support all languages and countries.

Default one is .com which 100% support to add as media player and alexa_tts / also english language is to be use in alexa_tts as for I know now. Other languages have to check from people who use alexa_tts here.

Ok… hope someone else not with english language will help me…
BTW i set up from Italy with the amazon.it as URL
About the media_player it is working as expected… i just tried now…

Can you broadcast your alexa?
Check country support here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202207000

How to use alexa in non support country