Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

Yay! we’re back.

Now to finish cooking the dinner :slight_smile:

2 Likes

my dot was playing radio as normal all day.
but this morning she didnt seem to be able to connect to the server on several moment (germany)

1 Like

It’s working for me and much appreciated!

is there example to how to this?
i know how to group all the echos, but how to set the TTS entity_id to the group entity_id ?

Thanks
Refael

Did you ever get past the the catcha? That’s as far as I have gotten as well. With the update all of a sudden I could get to that point but when I do get feedback from entering it the message is usually something to the effect that it does not recognize that email. I know the email is correct and If I use one that is not hooked into Alexa I get a totally different issue so I am guessing it has something to do with the way it is verified. For something so simple it is rather a pain to get it working. Best of luck to you.

So you create an HA group with all the echoes. If you named the group amazon_echoes then the json for the media_player.alexa_tts service would be:

{"entity_id": "group.amazon_echoes", "message": "Test message"}

If you enable debugging in the logs, it will tell you what email address/password it thinks it’s submitting. If you’re using secrets, it can’t be quoted. If it isn’t obvious what’s wrong, you can private message me with your scrubbed logs in a gist.

Thanks. I will try that now.

Once I added below to the configuration.yaml and restarted things were a little different.

logger:
  logs:
    custom_components.media_player.alexa: debug

I just updated alexa.py from version 0.9.5 to 0.9.6 and I now get a message the reads “Please hit confirm to begin login attempt.”, which in turn gives me a message stating that the service configurator/configure called. At this point I am not getting the captcha repeatedly just this new message. Before the update I saw no changes to the log file after turning on debugging. Now after the update I get what is below repeatedly if I try to do anything.

2018-12-25 22:12:46 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/config/custom_components/media_player/alexa.py", line 159, in setup_platform_callback
    verificationcode=callback_data.get('verificationcode'))
  File "/config/custom_components/media_player/alexa.py", line 869, in login
    self._data = self.get_inputs(post_soup)
  File "/config/custom_components/media_player/alexa.py", line 654, in get_inputs
    for field in form.find_all('input'):
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'find_all'

I read this thread from beginning to end and managed to get everything working. TTS and media player is working well. However, there is one feature that Google Home has that Alexa doesn’t have and I was wondering if it’s possible to port it out to Alexa as well.

In google home, I can do TTS in multiple languages just by specifying language in the options. For example, by adding “language: ja”, GH will use the Japanese speech engine, I can also do “language: en-uk” if I want google to speak in a British accent. It seems that Alexa’s language can only be changed in the app settings, as the option does not exist in the Alexa TTS platform.

Is there any way to change the language in the yaml like you can do for google home?

no because it is only possible to change the language from alexa in the alexa app.
this is a hack from the alexa app and it uses the simon says skill.

to even think about using different languages, you would need to change the language from the device, then send the TTS and then set back the language.

i dont think anything like that will ever be available, because TTS for alexa actually doesnt exist.

For some reason all my Alexa Devices disappeared from Home Assistant. I have 6 and they all seem to have disappeared overnight. I am on HA version 0.84.6

I noticed a notification on the page where all my Alexa Media Players used to show up where I now just see “No state available for media players”
It says "Alexa Media Player - Verification Method, Please select the verification method (e.g. sms or email)
I have tried to put email, but nothing happens. Do I need to use a special format?

It should be either “sms” or “email” and it’ll send the confirmation email or sms from Alexa with the code for you to enter.

I deleted alexa_media.pickle and that gave me a Captcha that worked !!

I think to keep inline with normal HA config it should be:

exclude:
     - kitchen
     - bedroom

No?

Yes. But case sensitive and exactly as in the Alexa App/JSON output. Wrapped in quotes if there’s a space. The wiki is updated.

Thinking about this a little, I’m wondering if plex may be a tad more difficult as it is a skill instead of a music service

Hi sah
Did you get the Alexa add-on working? I have exactly the same problem that you reported back in August. I saw what someone suggested you do re debugging but my Hassio won’t reboot with the Alexa config in place because it sees a bad config and I don’t want to brick it!
Thanks

I’ve noticed that if you don’t use the <> Code Blocks, the forum editor makes the quotes into grammatically-correct “curly” quotes.

Yes, I did get this working but don’t remember exactly what I did. I think if had to do with the way I was copying and pasting the code. Have you tried using a text editor like notepad++ ? Also the issue I had didn’t show any issues when I ran check config. What does yours say when you run the check config?