Ecobee Interagtion

I’m unable to install the Ecobee integration. I seem to be getting some permissions error. This is from the terminal output. I have a HA user which should have the correct permissions. Any ideas?

2020-04-25 18:58:16 INFO (SyncWorker_16) [homeassistant.util.package] Attempting install of python-ecobee-api==0.2.5
2020-04-25 18:58:31 ERROR (SyncWorker_16) [homeassistant.util.package] Unable to install package python-ecobee-api==0.2.5: Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3-1.25.8.dist-info/INSTALLER’
Consider using the --user option or check the permissions.
2020-04-25 18:58:31 ERROR (MainThread) [aiohttp.server] Error handling request

What is your method of install? venv? Docker? Hass.io/HomeAssistant?

Also, why are you trying to install the integration? You just need to set it up, all the stuff you need should come when you install HASS.

I used the Venv install. I added the Ecobee after my initial installation. As far as i know I have to sign up with Ecobee as a developer which I have to get the API key which I have. According the HA Ecobee integration guide, I need to install the Ecobee integration at which point HA will ask for that key. But it fails before that with presumably that permissions error.

More testing…and it turns out I can’t install any additional integrations. I think I might have caused some trouble when I ran a second installation and created a second unused Venv in my Pi home folder. After discovering my mistake I relaunched it using the standard Venv installation to a separate home/homeassistant Venv, but suspect I’m creating a issue doing this. Can I just delete that second Venv instance from my home/pi folder?
As a test, I also added pi to the group homeassistant which seemed to have permissions on the /srv folder but that didn’t fix this problem.
If necessary I can start over from scratch but was hoping to be able to keep by build going as I already created about 4 integrations (which can be recreated now that I’m more aware of what I’m doing).

Whatever it is that you did, the account your instance of Home Assistant is using no longer has the needed permissions to create/write to directories.

You can try to untangle the file permissions or start over (backup your configuration files, erase/un-install everything, re-install Home Assistant).

If you choose to start over, you may want to explore the benefits of installing Home Assistant Supervised.

Thanks, I start over and try the supervised install this time!