Ecobee won't update, and where is the "button" in the config card?

I managed to get Ecobee working, but only after mashing a bunch of keys while the ecobee card was open. I had already entered the PIN successfully, but the config card just sat there and ecobee.conf never got updated with token info.

Now that it’s authorized, HA grabs the latest sensor and thermostat info but never updates until HA is restarted manually.

I’ve tried both the latest release, and dev versions. Same results…

Any ideas?

Ecobee has a 3 minute update interval. Have you waited a full 3 minutes to see if it is actually updating?

I’m not sure I understand how you got it working by mashing keys… Which keys were you mashing and where were you mashing them? If ecobee.conf never got written I don’t see how it would ever work at all.

Any errors in the log?

[quote=“nkgilley”]Ecobee has a 3 minute update interval. Have you waited a full 3 minutes to see if it is actually updating?

I’m not sure I understand how you got it working by mashing keys… Which keys were you mashing and where were you mashing them? If ecobee.conf never got written I don’t see how it would ever work at all.

Any errors in the log?[/quote]

Hi nkgilley,

Thanks for your help!

I believe “mashing keys” coincided with the 3-minute wait you indicated, and the ecobee.conf was definitely created/updated. Mashing keys I believe was just a coincidence. Information is confusing and conflicting, as the Wiki doesn’t mention any wait, and the comments in the ecobee.py code talk about pushing the “button” in the card after the app has been registered. The log indicates that the “request_tokens()” task needs to be run, etc…

I can update the wiki if required? Some assistance with how to get the API_KEY in the wiki would also be helpful.

As for ongoing updates, they’re still not happening. I do get this error in the logs on a regular basis (every 30 to 60 seconds):

16-01-08 13:32:30 homeassistant.core: BusHandler:Exception doing job
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/core.py”, line 821, in job_handler
func(arg)
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/event.py”, line 135, in pattern_time_change_listener
action(now)
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py”, line 125, in _update_entity_states
entity.update_ha_state(True)
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py”, line 99, in update_ha_state
self.update()
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/components/sensor/ecobee.py”, line 92, in update
data.update()
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/util/init.py”, line 278, in wrapper
result = method(*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/components/ecobee.py”, line 125, in update
self.ecobee.update()
File “/root/.homeassistant/lib/pyecobee/init.py”, line 214, in update
self.get_thermostats()
File “/root/.homeassistant/lib/pyecobee/init.py”, line 116, in get_thermostats
print("Error connecting to Ecobee while attempting to get "
OSError: [Errno 5] Input/output error

Looking at the error, I put single quotes around the strings on lines 116 and 117. The errors stopped, and it appears updates are now working. I’ll keep an eye on it!