Error conecting to influxdb after upgrading to 0.40.2

I have just upgraded to 0.40.2 from 0.39 and suddenly I am getting the following error.

17-03-24 19:47:07 ERROR (Thread-5) [homeassistant.components.influxdb] Database host is not accessible due to '403: {“error”:“error authorizing query: homeassistant not authorized to execute statement ‘SHOW DIAGNOSTICS’, requires admin privilege”}

It was working perfectly just prior to this update. What has changed? And how do I get home assistant talking to the DB again? Preferably without giving the home-assistant influx db user admin access

I have the same problem, I thought it might be fixed in 0.41 with this PR https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/6566

However i get the same error still:
17-03-26 12:56:36 ERROR (Thread-7) [homeassistant.components.influxdb] Database host is not accessible due to '403: {"error":"error authorizing query: homeassistant not authorized to execute statement 'SHOW DIAGNOSTICS', requires admin privilege"}', please check your entries in the configuration file and that the database exists and is READ/WRITE.

I have had to grant my homeassistant influxdb user admin access which seems overkill.