Error in configuration log

When I run:

/srv/homeassistant/bin/hass --script check_config -c /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant

I get the following error in the output of the command:

2018-01-16 14:57:03 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Unable to setup error log /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/home-assistant.log (access denied)

I’ve tried changing permissions to 777, but I still get the error, so I changed it back to 644.

Any idea what is causing the error?

What does

whoami

say?

whoami says pi, but that shouldn’t make a difference if I change the permissions to world read and write.

You want to be user homeassistant to read and write freely to /home/homassistant.

Making the file world read and write is probably not enough, because the permission to write to that location is also controlled by the enclosing directories. Probably don’t want to start making those world writable.

2 Likes

I don’t want to make any file in the home assistant directory world read writable, I was just trying to see if the error went away.

Running as the homeassistant user does indeed make the error go away. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

i have the same problem in hass.io. couldnt figure out why.

I’ve got the same error with no reason [in hass.io].
soft restart [via dashboard] doesn’t work - I mean it does not read the new config.
I’m afraid to make a hard restart [restarting my RPi] - I’m afraid it won’t start at all…

any ideas on how to fix that? :frowning: