Error updating Home Assistant Core Unknown error, see supervisor

Installed version 2022.11.4 trying to upgrade to Latest version 2022.11.5 but getting

Error updating Home Assistant Core Unknown error, see supervisor

First time I’ve had this problem with upgrading. Other then some automation changes, nothing else has changed. The log file doesn’t point to me anything obvious to look at.

Logger: homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection
Source: components/hassio/update.py:305
Integration: Home Assistant WebSocket API (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 5:26:47 AM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 5:26:47 AM

[139929698773088] Error updating Home Assistant Core Unknown error, see supervisor
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/update.py", line 303, in async_install
    await async_update_core(self.hass, version=version, backup=backup)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/handler.py", line 45, in _wrapper
    raise HassioAPIError(data["message"])
homeassistant.components.hassio.handler.HassioAPIError: Unknown error, see supervisor

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/commands.py", line 200, in handle_call_service
    await hass.services.async_call(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1744, in async_call
    task.result()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1781, in _execute_service
    await cast(Callable[[ServiceCall], Awaitable[None]], handler.job.target)(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 208, in handle_service
    await service.entity_service_call(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 678, in entity_service_call
    future.result()  # pop exception if have
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 943, in async_request_call
    await coro
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 715, in _handle_entity_call
    await result
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/update/__init__.py", line 154, in async_install
    await entity.async_install_with_progress(version, backup)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/update/__init__.py", line 413, in async_install_with_progress
    await self.async_install(version, backup)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/update.py", line 305, in async_install
    raise HomeAssistantError(
homeassistant.exceptions.HomeAssistantError: Error updating Home Assistant Core Unknown error, see supervisor

1 Like

We’ll I’m still having trouble with this error now in trying to upgrade to 2022.12.0 , just started with the last release.

No idea at the moment where to look to attempt to resolve

Open to suggestions?

I gave up troubleshooting this. I think the problem was related to the fact I’ve been running HA for a very long time on Ubuntu 18.04 which is not supported by HA.

I backed up my HA config and installed a clean instance of HA on recommended OS of Debian 11 with HA. Linux - Home Assistant

Restored my backup and everything is working great again, updates working fine, and at least now I’m using an OS that is recommended.

Putting this here in case anyone runs into a similar problem.