ESP Reliability issues disconnects alot

Hi everyone, I have been running Home assistant for the past few years. I use a mix of esp8266 and esp32 around the house for sensors and switches etc. On some of them I have Tasmota and on others I have ESPhome. I have notice that just the esp’s with esphome setup on will sometimes loose connection with the wifi and as a result homeassistant. I setup a sensor in Homeassistant to ping the devices on the network so I can see how often each one loses connected. The two sensors in question are both less than 3 meters from my router in line of sight. I have tried to look online and changed a setting in esphome power_save_mode: none as some people say this could be the problem but I am still getting disconnects. Does anyone have any advice on what could be the problem. I currently use a esphome to monitor and control my hot water heating through homeassistant but i am worried that if it loses connection while turned on then it wont be able to turn off. I also prefer to use tasmota as the reliability has been rock solid and you can see no disconnects from the image i have uploaded but one of my sensors has two pzem energy monitors on it (one for solar and one of energy use) in tasmota you can only use one pzem sensor on an esp where with esphome I can use two. Any help would be great and I am fresh out of ideas… Tasmota

There’s a built in binary status sensor in ESPHome for this:

Of the 42 ESPHome devices I have scattered around the place only one is giving me connection troubles.

I recently moved it closer to the AP so the wifi signal strength went from -55dBm to -47dBm. So very good to excellent. It did make a difference but the device is still disconnecting - just less often.

My theory is that it is either bad capacitors or 3.3v voltage regulator on this particular ESP32mini board. A lot of Chinese boards do not have the required power available for wifi transmission along with other GPIO loads. They cost cut by installing underpowered voltage regulators and capacitors with very wide tolerance ranges.

I’ll know for sure tomorrow as I’m replacing the capacitors with larger ones to provide short bursts of power for txing. If that does not work I’m replacing the whole board.

3 Likes

In addition to what @tom_l mentioned, if you have not reloaded/updated ESPHome and re-compiled your ESPHome YAML files, that could make a difference. There were recently patches applied that manage WiFi connectivity much better. Don’t recompile EVERYTHING, just the one that’s an issue. If it helps, great. If not, it’s probably the ESP board itself, as @tom_l mentioned

2 Likes

Also setting a static IP address helps.

As for my intermittent ESP board, adding 220uF and 0.1uF capacitors across 3.3V and GND looks to have solved the issue but I won’t know for sure until this time tomorrow. The longest uptime I had before was 12 hours or so. At the moment it’s at 6 hours. Would have been 8 hours but I accidentally disconnected the power :roll_eyes:

EDIT: Yay! The fix worked.

Thanks for all the replies. All the esp32’s i am using are the same esp32 wroom boards. I found a esp8266 amica board that I had lying around so I uploaded esphome and swapped it out. As you can see from the screenshot it has been 24 hours and no drop outs on the wifi. So it would seem that maybe the esp32 boards I have suffer with power stability. Does anyone recommend a brand of esp32 that does not have this problem or i may try the capacitor fix that tom has mentioned.

Yes. This one has been designed properly:

Available with onboard or external antenna.

Don’t buy them all!

1 Like

Hello. If it is not too much trouble, can you share image of how you soldered capacitors to the esp board? This wifi drop is bugging me and I have tried a dozen suggested fixes to no success.

I’ve replaced them with the QuniLED versions linked above but this is how I did it, on the under side of the board:

ESP8266-WeMos-D1-Mini-pinout-gpio-pin

1 Like