ESP32 camera frame turns black after a few hours

I have an AI-Thinker like board, with an OV5640 camera connected to it (wasn’t happy with the camera that came with it).
After a few hours of being up (idly, I’m not streaming from it), the camera frame turns black (or extremely dark, I think I can make out some silhouettes if I have a direct light source pointed at it), and the only way to fix it is to restart the board.

Any idea how to fix this?

Here’s the relevant configuration:

esp32_camera:
  external_clock:
    pin: GPIO0
    frequency: 12MHz
    # frequency: 20MHz
  i2c_pins:
    sda: GPIO26
    scl: GPIO27
  data_pins: [GPIO5, GPIO18, GPIO19, GPIO21, GPIO36, GPIO39, GPIO34, GPIO35]
  vsync_pin: GPIO25
  href_pin: GPIO23
  pixel_clock_pin: GPIO22
  power_down_pin: GPIO32
  horizontal_mirror: false
  resolution: 1280x1024
  max_framerate: 5 fps
  idle_framerate: 0.005 fps

Any thoughts?

A guess: power saving mode from the ESP board?

Interesting. Where/how do I control that?

These things are really just a novelty item for fun, education, prototypes, etc. They’re not meant to be a serious alternative to an actual camera. They should still be able to stream low quality video and take blurry snapshots before they eventually fail.

Id highly recommend just buying and using an actuall camera now, instead of finding out the hard way that these esp32Cam’s are No good and you’re wasted more time or more money.

Sorry, no idea.
I’m not very familiar with the ESP ecosystem, just started to get to know it and in my search for guidance, I have seen mentions about power state.

1 Like

Did you try going to the documentation and using the Search box? Perhaps search for, " power saving mode"?

Fortunately I’m not building a military-grade production system. The ESP32 cam should be enough for my hobby DIY project.

Yes, I did.