ESPHome - New Home Assistant Community add-on

I have the ESPHome add-on installed via the original repository

I see it is now available via the Community Add-Ons.

Are they the same and if so how do I migrate? Can I just delete the old one and install the ‘new’ one?
If not, what is the difference?

Yes they are the same. As i understand community addon is just a collection of all of these addons to make the process simple. If everything works fine, you dont have to migrate.

Actually, I’m pretty sure that the community add-ons are just that - add-ons provided by the community and aren’t officially supported by the HA core developers.

While I’m not sure that what the source of your original add-on is (official or community-based) I doubt I would switch from an official add-on (if it was) to a community-based one. And unless the old one was also community-based and the new one adds no new functionality or stability then I wouldn’t switch either.

I also had the ESPHome add-on installed from the original repository, and I recently noticed that while the add-on worked, and wanted me to update to the correct newer version, it didn’t find any information when I clicked on Changelog. That’s when I realized, like you, that there was a community add-on version. I stopped the original add-on and set it to not start on boot. I installed the community add-on, and it found my devices and works like a charm. It has a different hostname than the original one (new is a0d7b954-esphome). Once I was comfortable that all was working fine, I uninstalled the original add-on.