I kill plants so I decided to have my own crack at a self-watering plant. I call it ESPlanty.
- Solar/battery powered
- No plumbing required - Concealed water reservoir
- Moisture and light monitoring (light is handy for solar tracking too)
- Tank and battery level monitoring
- Photo’s of the base
- Irrigation rings I designed and printed
- Enclosure details (version 2, version 1 is in post above it)
- The jade plant cuttings seem to be going well!
- ESPHome config
- Description of it’s operation
- Long term testing
- Some of my battery tracking / power production sensors aren’t quite working yet.
- Still not 100% convinced by the mositure readings and how they relate to the plant needing water. To watch…
- Maybe do a logic diagram or at least a simple description of it’s operation
A few credits: ssieb, jesserockz and rradar over on Discord helped with various bits. And I’ve linked to few other sources in my config.
Legacy Post below this. Kept for completness
Draft System diagram:
- The mobile base with conceal water reservoir has been built.
- Work-in-progress ESPHome config is here.
- I’m tinkering with irrigation rings
considering adding a light sensor and water level monitoring (ToF).
Various resources (parts, similar projects)
Power manager’s I’m looking at:
Sunflower: Solar Power Manager 5V (current favourite)
- Solar Power Management Module