First Time Home Assistant on Docker, but unfortunately without HASSIO and Supervisor

Hi,
a few days ago I installed Home Assistant under Docker for the first time. Unfortunately, I have neither HASSIO nor Supervisor. How can I get this?

Gerhard

You choose a installation type that has it Installation - Home Assistant

1 Like

And how do I choose that?!?

On the installing page is only one url for the image:
ghcr.io/home-assistant/home-assistant:stable

And this is installing always the same. There are no options or anything.
https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/linux

Supervisor and addons are not in the docker build.

Docker is HA Core

You want HAOS or HA Supervised if you want addons and supervisor.

Hmm …
Thanks.

I run in Docker. Works fine.

I run in Docker. Works fine.

Okay, can you please tell me how you did that? Or do you want to keep it a secret?

I run it in Docker without HASS os or supervisor. I run MariaDB, zwavejsmqtt in separate containers. I like this approach as I can update and manage the containers separately

The appliance installs come with supervisor and addons. Those are known as Supervised and Operating System. In both cases you need to dedicate either an entire machine or a VM to it.

Supervisor manages the entire machine including the docker network. You can’t just add it as a container, it won’t work. It expects a particular operating system and software running on the host that it can talk to over DBus and unix sockets, a particular configuration of Docker that it knows how to communicate with and that all running containers are managed by it since it will start, stop and monitor lots of addons and plugins (each of which is its own container).

If you don’t want an appliance install and just want to run HA as a container in an existing setup then you must use the container install like you’re doing. This does not include supervisor or addons. If you want things that are available as addons in the appliance install method then you must find the public images and make and configure the containers for that software yourself, as PeteRage describes.

Installation of Home Assistant Container is documented here (for x86-64 computers).

To compare the features included/excluded in each installation method (OS/Supervised /Container/Core) refer to the following table.

I run it in Docker without HASS os or supervisor. I run MariaDB, zwavejsmqtt in separate containers. I like this approach as I can update and manage the containers separately

Sorry, but I do not understand You. I would like to run Supervisor. You say that you run it without supervisor. You run the supervisor version without supervisor?!?

The table (link above) shows that Supervisor is included in just the following two installation options:

1. Home Assistant OS
  2. Home Assistant Supervised

(emphasis mine)

No, they didn’t. MariaDB image, zwavejs ui docker guide. They aren’t using supervisor, they just found the software and configured it.

Addons are just docker containers. For every addon you can find a public image with that software and make a container out of it. Addons are often easier but not necessary if you know docker.