Flashing QIACHIP Wifi Wireless 433Mhz RF with esp8266-s3 (Sonoff RF clone)

Upgraded, and compiled. Still need to flash it over tasmota though.

And working ! First flashed tasmota lite, then setoption78 1, then the esphome bin.

Thank’s for the clarification @nickyivyca. So just to check if I understand it right what the esphome code of yours does with this device:

• It can toggle the relay via the switch (which the ESP actually communicate to the RF module)
  • The whole RF logic (including pairing using the button) is still handled by the RF module
  • the custom component (binary_sensors) is watching the state from the RF module and is triggering the relay accordingly

Does this some how makes sense or is it totally nonsense? :grin:

I also were able to compile the code but wasn’t yet successful flashing it onto the qiachip device. I soldered 3.3v/gnd/rx/tx/io0 and even can detect the right boot mode (flash mode) from the onboard led of the esp-s3 module. I also tried with a external 3.3v power supply (800mA) but anyway I was never able to flash it nor read anything from the serial monitor. @francisp mentioned he used tuya-convert - maybe I need to test this now because I’m running out of ideas :man_shrugging:

Yeah that’s basically correct, the ESP tells the RF module over UART to turn on or off. The RF button controls the relay itself and handles the RF logic. The custom component is to read the UART values the RF modules sends when the RF buttons switch the relay on and off, to update the true state of the switch for homeassistant.

I couldn’t get hardware flashing working either, tuya-convert was the only thing that worked for me. I think that the RF module holds its TX/ESP’s RX high so an external UART can’t write.

1 Like

For me too! :tada:

So up and running. Just took a year with this device :grin:

Two things I’m still working on:

The 433mhz part: Till now I didn’t pair any remote and just use the esp/wifi to toggle the relay. I don’t have the manual anymore so I wonder what is need to pair a remote ? Guess press the button ? Keep it holding ? And in the same time on the remote ?
How many 433mhz remotes a possible ?

And the other thing I want to add is actually a button and a PIR directly to the esp. The button should enable a local relay toggle and with the pir I could trigger the relay on a movement.

The good thing with this device everything is done over serial so there is plenty of free gpio’s on the esp itself.

I will catch some solder now to make GPIO5, 12, 13, 14, GND and VCC accessible :man_factory_worker:

Eight presses on the button : clear all stored codes.
One press on the button : momentary switch
Two presses on the button : Toggle mode : Press one button for one time, the corresponding channel is working/on; Press the same button again to stop/OFF
Three presses on the button : latched mode : Press->on; Press other button->Off

1 Like

Little confusing for me :crazy_face:

All these described modes (momentary, toggle, latched) are for the 433 remotes - right?
And to pair one I keep the button from the qiachip pressed while also pushing the button on the 433 remote? Are there any light indicators on the device to show a successful pairing?

Just finished soldering :tada:

The led should come on after pressing the button. Then you press your 433Mhz remote.

1 Like

and added a button and pir :white_check_mark:

works flawlessly!

Hi,
Can you elaborate how to flash the esphome.bin (if needed at all for operating this switch in HA)?
I succeeded to flash tasmota via tuya-convert, and also issued the “setoption78 1” command via the console, but am lost from here…
Please guide me through what else is required - what is the switch configuration in Tasmota, is the esphome.bin file required (and if Yes, where can it be downloaded), how is this switch defined in configuration.yaml, etc.
Another question: were you able to toggle the switch using the tasmota web interface?
Thanks in advance!

Tasmota never worked on that switch. The esphome.bin you have to create yourself, no configuration required.

1 Like

@jblumbe all of your questions are answered in the great documentation of esphome (which even features a :mag: search function :tada:)

Thank you @orange-assistant!
Actually I found that link and successfully followed the instructions / actions for establishing the ability to compile the required bin file. Updated it per my configuration and uploaded to the device - works perfectly.
A suggestion I have: it would be beneficial (for novices) to explain / note how the user-updateable fields (like “device_name: qiachip_test” and “password: recoverypassword”) are marked and that the “${device_name}” notation is used for internal variables used by the compiler. I guessed those from reading the code, but it may not be as straightforward for novices. Not sure I came across it in the ESPHome documentation.
Another question: How can the other GPIO pins be utilized (I saw the “soldering additions” above) - what are the additions to the code published by @nickyivyca ?
Thank you for contributors to this project - your actions are really valuable!

Everything is in the documentation. Guess people are not used to have good/proper documentation…

The FAQ is mention it too:

All depends what you want.
For the PIR I have on GPIO5 and the Button on GPIO14 I added simple gpio binary sensors:

binary_sensor:
  - platform: gpio
    name: "${upper_devicename} PIR"
    pin:
      number: GPIO5
      mode: INPUT_PULLUP
    device_class: motion

- platform: gpio
    pin:
      number: GPIO14
      mode: INPUT_PULLUP
      inverted: True
    filters:
      - delayed_on: 100ms
      - delayed_off: 500ms
    name: "${upper_devicename} Button"

Thank you very much!
There is a lot of reading and catching up I must do… :wink:

1 Like

Hi!
Using Tuya-convert, I also managed to install Tasmota. Unfortunately, I couldn’t create a template for the tool and I couldn’t find it. I understand that I won’t even be able to use Tasmota in HA just through ESP-Home?