Fontawesome Pro

Hi

I’m thinking about buying a fontawesome pro licence. How would I use the pro icons in appdaemon dashboards?

Thanks
Andy

How did you install appdaemon, i.e. docker, venv, hassio add-on?

You need to find the assets folder created by the appdaemon install. In the assets/css folder, you need to copy the all.css file from the downloaded fonts package. also copy all the files in the webfonts folder from the fonts package to the assets/webfonts folder. That should do it.

Any appdaemon upgrade will likely overwrite these files, so you might need to write a short shell script to copy all files to the correct folders and run the script after any upgrade.

Through the add-on store, I think. It appears under “Supervisor” in the menu.

Thanks for the guide on that. I’m really enjoying this so far. I’m just in the process of building my own skin. Will that make a difference to the folders structure you mention? Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that.

Also, at the moment, I’m defining the icons for each widget in the .dash file. e.g:

icon_inactive: fas-lightbulb

Will I still be able to use that method?

So you are running Home Assistant (former hassio). This will make a bit more difficult to get the files copied, but it should still work. I did the above procedure when I wanted to upgrade the fonts since appdaemon were a bit behind in the versions, and it worked fine, allthough on a docker install. Same syntax in the .dash files. Custom skins does not affect the folder structure.

1 Like

Nice one. I’ll hopefully be ready to do this a b it later today.

Ok, I’m struggling here.

In the source code of my dashboard I can see a reference to css/all.css. That has the free definitions of FA icons in there so I’m assuming that if I overwrite that with my paid version then I’ll be good to go. I’ve got the FTP addon installed in Home Assistant so that’s also working.

But I can’t find css/all.css anywhere. I can’t find the assets folder you mention anywhere either. I’ve got the terminal add-on and have done a find / -name all.css but nothing comes back.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

I am not using the add-on install, but try the following:

Can you ssh into the appdaemon docker container? I know this is possible from other threads but I cant give you exact instructions. If this works, the rest is easy. Start by making a folder with all.css and the webfonts folder in a new folder in your appdaemon config folder. Let me know if you manage to ssh into the docker container, and I’ll post the rest of the instructions.

I’m not sure that appdaemon is running in a docker container, to be honest. I’ve installed Portainer but that only shows 2 containers: homeassistant and hassio_multicast

When I use the terminal, I have:

/config
  appdaemon
     apps
     compiled
     custom_css
     dashboards
     namespaces

complied has an html directory with a directory for each skin.

Sorry, not sure where else to look!

Step back a bit with cd .. and then ls

Ok, that puts me at the root as far as I can go with the terminal add-on in HA. As far as I can see, there is no way to properly ssh into the Pi.

In root I have:

.dockerenv
addons
backup
bin
config
data
dev
etc
home
init
lib
libexec
media
mnt
opt
proc
root
run
sbin
srv
ssl
sys
tmp
usr
var

Do you have the ssh add-on, or is that want you are referring to when you say terminal?

Since I don’t have hassio, I am not much help here, but try
docker containers ls
from the terminal

Yes, the ssh add on. Sorry.

ok, didn’t like that command but docker container ls worked. That’s listed a load of stuff. appdaemon is one of them. I can’t copy and paste from the ssh add-on though. Is there anything specific I’m looking for?

Great. Yes, now try

docker exec -it appdaemon /bin/sh

Nope. Container doesn’t exist.

The NAMES column for the container says addon_a0d7b954_appdaemon

ok, try same command again but use the listed name instead of appdaemon

Yep, comes back to the command prompt.

great.
ls

And then you should see the appdaemon folder

Hmmm… not in the root directory?