Garage door opener—non MyQ Genie model for $99

Just a heads up for everyone.
Since Chamberlain/Liftmaster has been actively hostile to all of us with blocking the MyQ API, Home Depot has Genie 3/4 HP smart opener for $99 (Black Friday special, in store only). They are from all accounts much friendlier to the home automation community but alas, do not offer local control.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Genie-Signature-Series-3-4-hp-Ultra-Quiet-Belt-Drive-Smart-Garage-Door-Opener-3155D-TSV/315283727

Lack of local control might be friendlier than Chamberlain, but not privacy friendly.

I have not followed close enough to know if any are local control friendly. But, really, all of these can be controlled locally even if they don’t like it :slight_smile: Just depends on how you want to do it.

Hah, true that.

I’d do the Meross HomeKit setup or the Ratgo [Rage Against The Garage Opener] but at this point my wife is fed up about “the button on her phone” not working… :joy:

The simplest solution is to use a relay directly on the door motor and use 2 door sensors, one for fully open one for fully closed sides.