GoControl USB Hub unable to detect devices when HDD plugged in

Hi Everybody!

I recently set up HomeAssistant (w/ Docker) on a Raspberry Pi 4 and it’s working out great. In order to connect with my devices, I’m using a GoControl CECOMINOD016164 HUSBZB-1 USB Hub that has support for both Z-Wave and Zigbee devices. In my home setup, I currently have 3 Zigbee devices and 3 Z-wave devices in my network.

In my Docker stack, I’m also running Plex and I’m running into a peculiar problem where, when I connect an external Transcend HDD with all my media, my GoControl device loses connectivity with all my devices and will not reconnect until I unplug the drive.

The HomeAssistant logs shows it can’t detect any of my devices, e.g.:

Unable to find referenced entities light.inovelli_lzw31_sn_dimmer_red_series_level_3

I suspected it being a power issue at first since the Pi4 can only provide 1.2A max to usb peripherals and maybe the HDD ontop of the GoControl USB was too demanding. However, documentation indicated the HDD only needs 0.9A and the GoControl USB only 80mA under typical usage, which means there’s still some leeway. Doing a usb-devices command show both devices being detected on my Pi as well. dmesg shows nothing abnormal either.

My current workaround is to plug the HDD into my router and mount is as a samba device but this is causing my plex media library to load very slowly.

Has anybody else encountered this problem and/or any ideas on debugging this? Thanks!