Google Assistant and remote_rpi_gpio

I had the ESPHome integration reading a binary_sensor GPIO value (on/off) along with a DHT11 humidity and sensor reading. All 3 were showing up in HA in the entity registry and they were working fine in HA. Via the (free) Google Assistant integration, I was able to get Google Assistant to show my binary_sensor and Temp (after creating a generic thermostat for the Temp). All was good and then I decided to switch the binary_sensor reading from ESP to a remote raspberry pi. I setup the remote_rpi_gpio integration in HA and am able to read the state. Still good.

However, now I cannot see that new binary_sensor within google assistant, yet the generic thermostat value still shows up so I know GA>HA is working.
I noticed that the new binary_sensor doesn’t show up in the HA Entity Registry. Is that related?

Any suggestions on what to check so the new binary_sensor shows in Google?

google_assistant:
  project_id: homeassistant-xxx
  api_key: xxxx
  exposed_domains:
    - sensor
    - climate
    - binary_sensor
  expose_by_default: true

binary_sensor:
  - platform: remote_rpi_gpio
    host: xxxx
    #pull_mode: UP
    invert_logic: true
    ports:
      17: garagedoorpi

climate:    #google assistant can only read temp value from climate(therostat)
  - platform: generic_thermostat
    name: Garage Temperature
    heater: input_boolean.fake_heater
    target_sensor: sensor.garage_temperature
    target_temp: 75

input_boolean:
  fake_heater:
    name: Fake Heater
    icon: mdi:toggle-switch-off
    initial: off  

sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      garage_door_status:
        value_template: "{%if states.binary_sensor.garagedoorpi.state == 'off' %}Closed{% elif states.binary_sensor.garagedoorpi.state == 'on' %}Open{% endif %}"
        icon_template: "{%if states.binary_sensor.garagedoorpi.state == 'off' %}mdi:garage{% elif states.binary_sensor.garagedoorpi.state == 'on' %}mdi:garage-open{% endif %}"
        friendly_name: 'Garage Door'

any suggestions?

apprantly Google Assistant doesn’t like sensor because when I changed it from sensor to binary_sensor, it works fine.

binary_sensor:
  - platform: remote_rpi_gpio
    host: xxxxx
    #pull_mode: UP
    invert_logic: true
    ports:
      17: garagedoorpi
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      garage_door_status:
        value_template: "{%if states.binary_sensor.garagedoorpi.state == 'off' %}Closed{% elif states.binary_sensor.garagedoorpi.state == 'on' %}Open{% endif %}"
        friendly_name: 'Garage Door'
        device_class: garage_door
1 Like